none
Installing Server 2012 R2 over Server 2012 (Essentials)

Question

• We are currently running a 180 day trial of Server 2012 Essentials on our Fujitsu TX100 S3 server. It seems to work fine, and does everything we need.

I see that Server 2012 R2 has now been released in both Standard and Essentials formats. If we buy this can we install it over the 2012 Essentials trial?

Whilst asking, would there be any particular benefit in buying Standard rather than Essentials? (We have a maximum of ten users.) I know we will need ten user licences.

Thanks and regards,

Nigel.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

If you would like to upgrade 2012 essential to 2012 essential R2, please refer to the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408641.aspx

Actually, if you only have ten users, 2012 essential is enough for you unless you have specific demand.

Essentials Server’s specific features (such as the Dashboard, client computer backups, and Remote Web Access) 

More information about 2012 standard and 2012 essential, please refer to the link below:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/microsoft-announces-four-windows-server-2012-editions-what-you-need-to-know/5775/

Best Regards

Quan Gu

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Thank you for your advice Quan.

Could I simply install Server 2012 R2 Essentials 'over' my existing Server 2012 Essentials installation?

I have had the server up and running for nearly six months now, so I am keen to avoid reinstalling the OS unless I have to.

Best regards,

Nigel.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

Okay, if i understand correctly, you need to upgrade your 2012 essential to 2012 essential R2, right?

However, i can clearly understand "over", you mean that you need to upgrade it smoothly ?

You can refer the steps below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633.aspx

Best Regards

Quan Gu

Friday, January 03, 2014 2:45 AM

Could I simply install Server 2012 R2 Essentials 'over' my existing Server 2012 Essentials installation?

I have had the server up and running for nearly six months now, so I am keen to avoid reinstalling the OS unless I have to.

Best regards,

Nigel.

Your use of words is a bit confusing. Changing an existing OS to a later version is an upgrade. Installing something "over" an existing installation usually means wiping the original OS and doing a fresh install (eg installing a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit version). 

Bill

Friday, January 03, 2014 3:37 AM

Best regards,

Nigel.

Your use of words is a bit confusing. Changing an existing OS to a later version is an upgrade. Installing something "over" an existing installation usually means wiping the original OS and doing a fresh install (eg installing a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit version). 

Bill

Dear Bill,

Sorry I confused you!

Just to clarify, I have server 2012 Essentials already installed and working well.

I would simply like to upgrade this installation to Server 2012 R2 Essentials quickly and easily, and without wiping or damaging my present installation.

Is this possible?

Nigel.

Monday, January 06, 2014 9:20 AM