none
Install SBS2008 on Hyper-V with IBM SBS2008 License fails

Question

• Hallo,

Previosly, I'm using single box of SBS2008, but now there is more requirement to have one more seperate application server for HR application. Hence, the plan was to upgrade RAM and HD of this box, and move SBS2008 to be Hyper-V guest and buy WS2008R2 license, and install HR app on another Hyper-V guest.

Previous:

x3650  >> SBS2008

To be

x3650 >> WS2008 R2 Standard (Host)

VM1 >> SBS2008

VM2 >> HR Apps

After upgrade my box (HD, RAM, RAID Controller), and installation of host OS. I'm currently having problem with installing SBS2008 as Hyper-V guest on WS2008 R2. The error when booting VM guest during system check, is showing that seem the DVD I'm using was built only for IBM machine (OEM), but Hyper-V manager does not recognize that this is actually running on physical IBM x3650 M3 box. I'm now scratching my head, how I can get over this.

Does anyone know, if I can use trial version of SBS2008 download from Microsoft site, but use license key from IBM SBS2008 DVD?

A few options I can thinking of, if above does not work.

Option 1: Roll back, and keep SBS2008 on one single box. And buy new physical box for new Application. >>> Cost money a lot. And money were waste for upgrade old box already. Total cost even higher. 5k USDs.

Option 2: Ignore SBS2008 license, and install completely new OS and all required license as seperate license. (2 x WS2008 R2, Exchange 2013 (newer version), CAL) 3k USDs.

Option 3: Roll back, and install SBS2008 as host, and add Hyper-V role on SBS2008 box, for additional VM. I googled, seem this not feasible, since SBS2008 host allow only single NICs, otherwise need to share this NIC among all VM, which is not practical.

Nikorn Soemklang

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi 3lan,

Thank you for your reply. I did follow the link in IBM site. It suggests that if the Host OS is already WS2008 R2, no action is required, hyper-v manager should create BIOS with correct physical host information. But seems it's not, and I need to download the Hyper-V_OEM_BIOS.exe file, and run to update BIOS of hyper-v. Now it's working ok.

Link to Hyper-V_OEM_BIOS.exe:
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x/hyper-v_oem_bios.exe

Thank you again!.

Nikorn Soemklang

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

maybe this can help: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5078451

I had the same issue with HP branded OS...

Roberto

Roberto

• Marked as answer by NSoemklang Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:42 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

maybe this can help: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5078451

I had the same issue with HP branded OS...

Roberto

Roberto

• Marked as answer by NSoemklang Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:42 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hi 3lan,

Thank you for your reply. I did follow the link in IBM site. It suggests that if the Host OS is already WS2008 R2, no action is required, hyper-v manager should create BIOS with correct physical host information. But seems it's not, and I need to download the Hyper-V_OEM_BIOS.exe file, and run to update BIOS of hyper-v. Now it's working ok.

Link to Hyper-V_OEM_BIOS.exe:
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x/hyper-v_oem_bios.exe

Thank you again!.

Nikorn Soemklang

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:28 AM