none
Urgent Inquiry

Question

• Here's my situation/Inquiry:

I was assigned the ignominious task of migrating a Server, from Windows SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials. I'm not so sure if the migration was that successful since I had to manually import all the users from the old Server. So far, with some issues that are still haunting me, the Server seems to be working. I've a couple of inquiries but I'll start with just one (for now).

The old Server had a couple of File Folders (shared) that were mapped. It had a Bubbles (not the real name) Folder as Network Drive O, Balloons Folder as Network Drive P and the Users (this one is real) Folder as Network Drive M. Since I didn't set up that old Server and I've no prior experience setting up Servers, I'm quite lost in what I'm doing. Since the people working in that office were quite comfortable seen those Folders as Mapped Network Drives, I want to do the same with the new equipment but don't know how. I want the users to see those new Mapped Network Drives so when they turn on their PC (Clients), those Mapped Drives will be shown when they open My Computer. I tried to map them inside the new Server, since they are already Shared but no one sees them on their Client PCs. So I mapped them individually on each Client, which I'm sure is not the right way.

So the question is, how do I map those Folders so everyone can see them on their clients? I'm not sure if this is done through the Group Policy Object or if there's an easier way to do it.

I'll wait till someone (anyone) has a clear-cut answer.

Thank You in advance...

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:22 PM

Answers

• The mappings the users see are mappings on their devices, not the server.  Somewhere (there are several ways to accomplish it) the client system mapped O: to \\oldserver\bubbles, P: to \\oldserver\Balloons, and M: to \\oldserver\Users.  You need to make the change on the client side to have the clients map to \\newserver.  Before you can do that, you have to set up the shares on the newserver.  And you have to set the protection on the shares for the sort of access you want to allow to the users.

You can perform this via Group Policy, or you can do it manually.  Group policies take a little bit of learning, so you would have to do some research on how to do that.  Of course, the clients might not be set up with group policies, so it is a pretty hard call.  We would need more specific information about your environment to allow us to provide more details.

I would suggest you do a little reading of TechNet articles on setting up file shares. Then if you have specific questions, we should be able to assist.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:22 PM

All replies

• The mappings the users see are mappings on their devices, not the server.  Somewhere (there are several ways to accomplish it) the client system mapped O: to \\oldserver\bubbles, P: to \\oldserver\Balloons, and M: to \\oldserver\Users.  You need to make the change on the client side to have the clients map to \\newserver.  Before you can do that, you have to set up the shares on the newserver.  And you have to set the protection on the shares for the sort of access you want to allow to the users.

You can perform this via Group Policy, or you can do it manually.  Group policies take a little bit of learning, so you would have to do some research on how to do that.  Of course, the clients might not be set up with group policies, so it is a pretty hard call.  We would need more specific information about your environment to allow us to provide more details.

I would suggest you do a little reading of TechNet articles on setting up file shares. Then if you have specific questions, we should be able to assist.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Thank you for your input and sorry for the late reply. I forgot all about the mapping since I've a new situation (problem) to resolve in three days before the old server goes bye bye. I was having problems with the DNS server for I wanted the new Server to be also the DNS server, like the old one used to be. But no luck since the clients keep searching for the old Server as the DNS Server and my new Server also sees the old one as the DNS Sever. I tried to change it but it still wants the old Server IP, it doesn't let me have the New Server IP as a DNS Server, IP Invalid. So searching about my problem, I maybe found out why I'm having all this difficulties and maybe you can enlighten me.

I used the following command and got this warning (an excerpt):

PS C:\Users\Administrator.MCC> repadmin /showrepl

Repadmin: running command /showrepl against full DC localhost
    Default-First-Site-Name\MCC02MS
    DSA Options: IS_GC
    Site Options: (none)
    DSA object GUID: 003e394e-c43d-478e-ab4a-89ba1ed7b383
    DSA invocationID: 0427ec28-9650-47ae-8c7f-2c7c29816495

==== INBOUND NEIGHBORS ======================================

DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Default-First-Site-Name\MCC01MS via RPC
    DSA object GUID: 85757b35-c50d-458a-84f7-621d367c27a2
    Last attempt @ 2013-10-27 16:51:42 failed, result 8524 (0x214c):
    The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS
    lookup failure.
    72 consecutive failure(s).
    Last success @ 2013-10-24 17:14:39.

CN=Configuration,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-10-27 16:53:09 failed, result 8524 (0x214c):
    lookup failure.
    Last success @ 2013-10-24 16:50:09.

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-10-27 16:54:33 failed, result 8524 (0x214c):
    lookup failure.
    Last success @ 2013-10-24 16:50:10.

DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-10-27 16:57:35 failed, result 8524 (0x214c):
    lookup failure.
    73 consecutive failure(s).

DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-10-27 16:57:42 failed, result 8524 (0x214c):
    lookup failure.
    73 consecutive failure(s).

Source: Default-First-Site-Name\MCC01MS
    ******* 73 CONSECUTIVE FAILURES since 2013-10-24 17:14:39
    Last error: 8524 (0x214c):
    lookup failure.

MCC01MS is the Old Server and MCC02MS is the new one.

Then I got this warning message after I booted the new Server:

This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not
    consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this
    server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since
    this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing
    validation of this role.

Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail
    until this condition is corrected.

FSMO Role: DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL

User Action:

1. Initial synchronization is the first early replications done by a
    system as it is starting. A failure to initially synchronize may
    explain why a FSMO role cannot be validated. This process is explained
    in KB article 305476.
    2. This server has one or more replication partners, and replication
    is failing for all of these partners. Use the command repadmin
    /showrepl to display the replication errors. Correct the error in
    question. For example there maybe problems with IP connectivity, DNS
    name resolution, or security authentication that are preventing
    successful replication.
    3. In the rare event that all replication partners being down is an
    expected occurance, perhaps because of maintenance or a disaster
    recovery, you can force the role to be validated. This can be done by
    using NTDSUTIL.EXE to seize the role to the same server. This may be
    done using the steps provided in KB articles 255504 and 324801 on
    http://support.microsoft.com.

The following operations may be impacted:
    Schema: You will no longer be able to modify the schema for this forest.
    Domain Naming: You will no longer be able to add or remove domains
    from this forest.
    PDC: You will no longer be able to perform primary domain controller
    operations, such as Group Policy updates and password resets for
    non-Active Directory Domain Services accounts.
    RID: You will not be able to allocation new security identifiers for
    new user accounts, computer accounts or security groups.
    Infrastructure: Cross-domain name references, such as universal group
    memberships, will not be updated properly if their target object is
    moved or renamed.

Maybe this could solve my problem with the DNS Server issue (maybe not). The real hassle is that I don't understand or I'm confused about the instructions on how to seize the FSMO roles. Here are the instructions (with my confusions):

• On any domain  controller, click Start, click Run, type Ntdsutil in the Open box, and then click OK. (Any of the servers, the old or the new one?)
      • Type roles, and then press ENTER. (That's an easy step, no confusion there)
      • Type connections, and then press ENTER. (Same as the previous one)
      • Type connect to server <servername>, where <servername> is the name of the server you want to use, and then press ENTER. (Here's where my confusion begins. Is servername my old server or the newer one?)
      • At the server connections: prompt, type q, and then press ENTER again. (No comments)
      • Type seize <role>, where <role> is the role you want to seize. For example, to seize the RID Master role, you would type seize rid master (Where am I doing this, the old or the new)
      • You will receive a warning window asking if you want to perform the seize. Click on Yes. (no comments)
      • All five roles need to be in the forest. If the first domain controller is out of the forest then seize all roles. Determine which roles are to be on which remaining domain controllers so that all five roles are not on only one server. (Since I'm confused from step #1, I can't say anything about step #8)

1. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you've seized all the required FSMO roles.
        1. After you seize or transfer the roles, type q, and then press ENTER until you quit the Ntdsutil tool.

Can you help me???? Please?????

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:07 PM
  • IS DNS installed on the new server?

If so, then you may need to go to the server that is serving as the DHCP server, and update the scope options to point to the new DNS server IP.  That is where they are usually grabbed from.  Also, is the new server set with a static IP or also using DHCP?  As a best practice you will want your dns server to have a static ip....

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:12 PM
  • The old Server was never a DHCP Server, the GIGABYTE Wireless router had that role. The old Server had a Static IP and so does the new Server. Do I have to use the DNS Wizard Installation on the new Server? I was going to do that but I wasn't sure if that installation was going to solve my problem.  The problem with my old server is that it's slowly dying. The RAID array is decayed, that's why we bought the new one.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:13 PM
  • If the DNS role is not installed on the new server, then yes, you will need to install it.  Usually DNS is installed on a domain controller and integrated with AD, so you may need to check that out.

If the wireless router is handing out IP's to your clients via DHCP, then there should be a scope option in there to set the DNS server IP address.  If it is there, and pointing to the old server IP, then you would want to change that to point to the new server IP, once DNS is installed and working.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:23 PM
  • >>>If the DNS role is not installed on the new server, then yes, you will need to install it. <<<

I'll do that as fast as I can and let you know.

>>>If the wireless router is handing out IP's to your clients via DHCP, then there should be a scope option in there to set the DNS server IP address.<<<

I'll check that out too. Thanks for the hints, suggestions.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:29 PM
  • BTW - should I try to Transfer or Seize the FSMO roles? The instructions from Microsoft KB articles and David Petri's are not too clear to me or I'm no that bright to understand them.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:54 PM
  • The old Server (192.168.0.191) is the Forwarder. When I try to change it to the new Server (192.168.0.185), it gives me the Invalid IP warning. I still haven't run the DNS Wizard on my new Server and the old one seems like it doesn't want to boot up.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:18 PM
  • OK, here's something that seems promising:

PS C:\Users\Administrator.MCC> repadmin /showrepl

Repadmin: running command /showrepl against full DC localhost
    Default-First-Site-Name\MCC02MS
    DSA Options: IS_GC
    Site Options: (none)
    DSA object GUID: 003e394e-c43d-478e-ab4a-89ba1ed7b383
    DSA invocationID: 0427ec28-9650-47ae-8c7f-2c7c29816495

==== INBOUND NEIGHBORS ======================================

DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-11-01 16:08:47 was successful.

CN=Configuration,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL
    Last attempt @ 2013-11-01 15:49:33 was successful.

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL

DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL

DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=MCC,DC=LOCAL

Does it mean that the replication was successful? If so, what's the next step?
    Friday, November 01, 2013 9:26 PM