none
Merging Checkpoints in Hyper-V 2008 R2 using SCVMM 2012

Question

• Hi

We are presently doing a storage migration project using Hyper-V 2008R2 and SCVMM 2012 SP1. We have a two node cluster and an iSCSI storage. We are moving VM's from local storage to the CSV volumes. I have a query on how to move the VM's which have checkpoints (.avhd ) and are running using last difference disk. Some of these checkpoints are couple of years old and we are planning to remove the checkpoints and merge into a single vhd file but need to make sure we are doing it right.

The 3 servers in question show checkpoints in different states. Need to know the best method for each VM. 

Server 1- Has only one checkpoint. So I guess easy. Delete checkpoint, shutdown VM, allow merge to finish and then move the storage to CSV using Migrate storage option. Correct ?

Server 2 - Has 4 checkpoints with saved state information - Should I select each checkpoint & select delete and shutdown to merge? and continue the process till I have no more checkpoint or is there a easier way? or I can delete the oldest checkpoint and it will merge all the checkpoints which refer to it?

Server 3 - Has 3 checkpoints with no saved state information - Should I select each checkpoint & select delete and shutdown to merge? and continue the process till I have no more checkpoint or is there a easier way? or I can delete the oldest checkpoint and it will merge all the checkpoints which refer to it?

Any inputs or guidance is appreciated. I am not able to add images of the checkpoints due to this being my first post in the forum and I am not allowed to upload images till verified..;) 

Thanks Microsoft

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 1:54 AM

All replies

• Please see this lists of important points of snapshots on Hyper-V prior to Win 2012 - http://kristiannese.blogspot.no/2010/11/snapshots-in-hyper-v-ground-rules.html

If you plan to delete your snapshots on every VM, I would strongly recommend you to do one of the following:

1) delete all snapshots on the VMs, power off the VMs and let the merge process start.

or

2) Take a new snapshot, export this snapshot and import it as a new virtual machine from the new location.

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hi Kristian

Thanks for a quick response. We have decided to use Option 2 and will update on how it went.

- ridervn

Friday, October 11, 2013 1:41 PM