none
Mailbox database Size

Question

• Hi,

I have DAG enabled Exchange Server 2010 installed with three mailbox databases having sizes 282GB,162GB and 129GB respectively. I have started with a total of 250GB in 2010 and now it has reached a size more than 650GB.

It has become very difficult to take the backup of such huge database files now and restoring it in case of a DR.

Presently I have not enabled online archiving in any of these mailboxes mainly because most of the PCs are installed with outlook 2007 which doesn't show online archive.Of course OWA is another candidate to see those mails.

Please suggest a best practice to reduce the size of these mailbox databases without losing any of the mails.

Thanks

Thomas

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

I would suggest creating a new mailbox database and moving mailboxes to them.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

First, please check whitespace that particular DB has in Exchange 2007.

To reclaim that space, we have two options. One is to create a new mailbox database and move all the mailboxes to that database, the other is to perform the offline defrag to shrink the file.

Offline defrag can be a time-consuming operation and your database will be unavailable during this process.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:04 AM
  • You could have used Microsoft Exchange Calculator to better size your exchange and avoided the issue...but it is never too late..

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/14/released-exchange-2013-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx

Where Technology Meets Talent

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Hi

I would suggest creating a new mailbox database and moving mailboxes to them.

what is the benefit i will be getting even if i move the mailboxes to a new database. Again the total data to be backed up will remain the same.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

First, please check whitespace that particular DB has in Exchange 2007.

To reclaim that space, we have two options. One is to create a new mailbox database and move all the mailboxes to that database, the other is to perform the offline defrag to shrink the file.

Offline defrag can be a time-consuming operation and your database will be unavailable during this process.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma

I have checked for whitespace which is very less to be reclaimed.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:26 AM
  • My question here is, if i want to recover these databases in case of a crash it will take hours to restore 600GB data. So if enable archiving on all mailboxes and keeping them on a separate database, the main databases will become lesser in size thus by reducing the restore process duration.

Is this a recommended method ? I can restore all the lesser size main databases initially and make exchange up and running then start the restoring of archive database.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Per my known, if the number of items in the database decreases, the edb file won't shrink, rather the freed space within the database is held as whitespace. So the way to enable archive won't reduce the database size.

As a workaround, you can split the database into two parts, move one part to a different mailbox database and move the other part to another different database. During this process, you need to create two new database. After you move mailboxes to new mailbox databases, you can delete the old database.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Hi Belinda,

But still the end result will be two databases 300GB each and a total of 600GB. Still my question is not answered.

In the restoring process can I get the server up and running without the archive mailbox ?

Sunday, June 01, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the description, you have three mailbox database with size 282GB,162GB and 129GB respectively. You can split the database having size 282GB to two mailbox database, then it's easier to perform backup on the new mailbox database.

Even though it doesn't reduce the total size, you can do backup per database, not all at a time.

In the restoring process, you need to keep the server up and running.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 1:52 AM
  • I have moved all the mailboxes in one of the databases to a new one. But the previous one is still there having the same size. Is it safe to remove that database ? It has a DAG copy running on another server.
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Check the arbitration mailbox and systemmailboxes. if it exists move to the new database and delete it.

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database “Mailbox Database1″

Please check this on how to delete a mailbox database

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13919.how-to-remove-default-database-in-exchange-2010-in-a-recommended-way.aspx

Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:01 AM
  • Another problem i am facing is the new database folder contains more than 360000 log files. How to remove this files ?
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:45 AM
  • It will get cleared(truncate) by an exchange known backup. Hope you have one exchange known backup in place.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:34 PM
  • I use Windows Server Backup. I am trying it now.
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:48 PM
  • It will get cleared(truncate) by an exchange known backup. Hope you have one exchange known backup in place.

Hi,

All the log files got truncated. Now the previous database(default) is still there with the same size. Why the size of it not getting reduced even after removing all the mailboxes from it ?

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Try to do an defragment offline to clear the whitespace

here is a great article on this process.
    http://exchangeserverpro.com/defrag-exchange-2010-mailbox-database/
    • Edited by MAS- Monday, July 14, 2014 8:49 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 8:43 AM
  • As mentioned above, Exchange database files do not shrink.  

If you do a defrag, then since you have copies of this DB in the DAG then you have to reseed.  take a look at this

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/08/23/offline-defrag-and-dag-databases_2c00_-oh-my_2100_.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:21 PM
  • from your very first question you have 650 GB of total DB size and in order to restore fast .. you can setup small databases e.g. 100 GB , so create 7x100 GB Database and put both primary and Archive mailbox on each where the usermailbox is located.

Move the mailboxes to new DB, once done then delete the old DB. this will let you restore your database faster and you also reclaim the white space.. 

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:53 PM
  • from your very first question you have 650 GB of total DB size and in order to restore fast .. you can setup small databases e.g. 100 GB , so create 7x100 GB Database and put both primary and Archive mailbox on each where the usermailbox is located.

Move the mailboxes to new DB, once done then delete the old DB. this will let you restore your database faster and you also reclaim the white space.. 

If I am not wrong to have more than 5 mailbox databases I should be having an enterprise exchange license that I am not having presently.

Secondly restoring 700GB will take the same amount of time whether it is a single 700GB file or seven 100GB files.

I think the only option is I have to live with it and restore in case of a possible crash will be a real nightmare as the data keeps on growing.

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Instead you can try enabling circular logging in the database, Then dismount the database and mount again.

Your logs will get cleared. After that disable circular logging and then do an offline defragmentation

Follow these as suggested above

http://exchangeserverpro.com/defrag-exchange-2010-mailbox-database/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/08/23/offline-defrag-and-dag-databases_2c00_-oh-my_2100_.aspx

MAS

Monday, July 14, 2014 10:06 PM