none
MDT: a supported prevois version of windows was not found. I'm trying to deploy windows 7 image to a windows xp client.

Question

• The "move the user data and settings" option is greyed out. I then get the following error in litetouch pe screen

"A supported previous version of windows was not found. "

I'm trying to deploy windows 7 image to a windows xp client.

how do i save the user data before deploying windows 7 to it?

Anand_N

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

• Ha! you never mentioned *what* disk encryption software you are using. :^)

I have seen several disk encryption software companies provide whitepapers on how to integrate with MDT.

However, even if you were running BitLocker from Microsoft, you would *still* need to de-activeate encryption, especially if you were planning on using offline USMT. ( offline USMT is where you initate the refresh process by booting into WinPE directly, rather than launching MDT LiteTouch from *within* the old OS by running cscript \\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs ).

Then you have the problem of *where* to place the data store. In recent versions of MDT, USMT supports hard link migration allowing you to keep the data in place, however with 3rd party disk encryption, I would look into network storage.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:39 PM

All replies

• While display the dialog box. MDT attempted to verify that a previous OS existed on the local machine... somewhere.

In your case the machine failed to find the previous OS.

If I had to guess, I would say that you are running some kind of 3rd party disk encryption software, and MDT doesn't know how to read the partitions.

If you still need help, go to WinPE, and open up a command prompt window (F8). Run the following:

Diskpart.exe
    List disk
    list vol
    sel disk 0
    list part
    exit

And if possible cut and paste the results here.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:33 AM
  • u are rite. the machine does have encrypted hard drive. is there anyway around this? perhaps user state migrate before i reboot to winpe ?

Anand_N

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:32 AM
  • mdt 2012:
    ok i got windows 7 to deploy to a windows xp client whose hard drive was not encrypted. I was able to select move user data and settings option. I have a question. During the user state migration, is the data copied to my mdt server and transferred back or locally kept?
    I prefer local since i have some xp clients with several gigabytes of data

Anand_N

• Edited by Anand_N Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Ha! you never mentioned *what* disk encryption software you are using. :^)

I have seen several disk encryption software companies provide whitepapers on how to integrate with MDT.

However, even if you were running BitLocker from Microsoft, you would *still* need to de-activeate encryption, especially if you were planning on using offline USMT. ( offline USMT is where you initate the refresh process by booting into WinPE directly, rather than launching MDT LiteTouch from *within* the old OS by running cscript \\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs ).

Then you have the problem of *where* to place the data store. In recent versions of MDT, USMT supports hard link migration allowing you to keep the data in place, however with 3rd party disk encryption, I would look into network storage.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:39 PM