none
Question on Site Federation Route assignment

Question

• Hi,

I am reading through the migration steps for Lync 2010 to 2013. With regards to the Edge server and the Site federation route assignment, it says to disable the federation route through the legacy Lync Server 2010 environment by clearing the checkbox for Enable SIP federation. From looking at my not-yet-migrated Lync 2010 Front-End, Site Federation Route assignment is disabled, even though we are enabled for federation with other domains, as specified in the configuration in the Control Panel. We only have 1 Edge server so does this mean this is the route by default? I do get the option to select my Edge server as the federation route but federation already works in our environment. Can someone explain the significance of this and how federation works without enabling this option? I just want to ensure that when I am configuring for 2013 that everything runs smooth.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a viable option. The federation route option is only enabled when having multiple sites each with it's own Edge server/pool and where you want to send federation traffic to a specific Edge. This because only one Edge can be used for federation traffic.

Your assumption about the Edge server being used for default routing is correct.

After all resources are migrated your last step would be to switch to the Lync Server 2013 Edge till this point you can leave the federation traffic running via the 2010 Edge.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Johan

Exchange-blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl

• Marked as answer by shoc86 Friday, July 05, 2013 8:53 AM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a viable option. The federation route option is only enabled when having multiple sites each with it's own Edge server/pool and where you want to send federation traffic to a specific Edge. This because only one Edge can be used for federation traffic.

Your assumption about the Edge server being used for default routing is correct.

After all resources are migrated your last step would be to switch to the Lync Server 2013 Edge till this point you can leave the federation traffic running via the 2010 Edge.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Johan

• Marked as answer by shoc86 Friday, July 05, 2013 8:53 AM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hi Johan,

Yes that makes sense, thank you. Just one last thing, it looks like when I am in the process of migration, I will still need to enable this option, so my new pool can talk to my legacy Edge server? Otherwise as I move users to the new pool (and have not as yet deployed the new 2013 Edge server), they would not be able to federate. So then when I come to deploy my new Edge server I will need to enable this here, or as you state above there should not be any need as I only have 1 Edge server and site?

Hope that makes sense!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hi, Yes you should configure the 2013 pool so it knows where to direct federation traffic to. Regards, Johan

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:36 PM