none
Undeliverable Instantly received when sending from Outlook Client to some recipients

Question

•              
    I have been having some unusual email trouble. There are a bunch of users
    who are having trouble sending email to some recipients (I
    have not been able to come up with any pattern of things in common amongst
    these recipients). The problem occurs when they initiate communication by
    sending an initial outgoing message from their Outlook client. They are
    immediately presented with an undeliverable. However, if the initial
    communication is started from webmail or from their mobile device, the message
    goes through fine. Additionally, subsequent communication with these recipients
    by replying to their messages using the outlook client works fine.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:51 PM

Answers

• That's usually symptomatic of problems with autocomplete/nickname caches, or bad entries in personal address books.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi Technobeam,

Since this issue only occur in Outlook, not in OWA, I suggest you follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Follow this document to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook, then check whether this issue will occur.

How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

2. If the issue still occur after you reset the nickname and automatic completion caches, I suggest you recreate Outlook profile to have a try:

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com 

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Every time I've seen an issue of this nature it is related to outdated or bad information in the auto-complete list in Outlook.

I usually ask the user to begin typing the person's name or address and then highlight and delete all bogus entries.

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Yes, these cached contacts are stored in Suggested Contacts:<smtp address>, you can delete all of them via:

control panel-> mail > E-mail Accounts > Address books > Outlook address books > click on "Suggested Contactshttp:<smtp address>" and remove them.

These suggested contacts are stored in :

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache\Stream_Autocomplete.dat

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:19 AM

All replies

• That's usually symptomatic of problems with autocomplete/nickname caches, or bad entries in personal address books.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:55 PM
  • The issue seems to be related to addresses stored in the autocomplete history enclosed in apostrophes. For example 'name@domain.com' Even when you manually send the message to name@domain.com without the apostrophes, the message still gets sent to the address with the apostrophes and is rejected unless you clear your autocomplete history. It also seems to be a problem with addresses added to an email when a user clicks a mailto: link.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Technobeam,

Since this issue only occur in Outlook, not in OWA, I suggest you follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Follow this document to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook, then check whether this issue will occur.

How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

2. If the issue still occur after you reset the nickname and automatic completion caches, I suggest you recreate Outlook profile to have a try:

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Thanks,

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com 

Evan Liu

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Hello,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com

Evan Liu

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Every time I've seen an issue of this nature it is related to outdated or bad information in the auto-complete list in Outlook.

I usually ask the user to begin typing the person's name or address and then highlight and delete all bogus entries.

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Yes, these cached contacts are stored in Suggested Contacts:<smtp address>, you can delete all of them via:

control panel-> mail > E-mail Accounts > Address books > Outlook address books > click on "Suggested Contactshttp:<smtp address>" and remove them.

These suggested contacts are stored in :

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache\Stream_Autocomplete.dat

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Clearing the autocomplete cache fixed this issue. however, I'm still confused as to how the bad entries got in there to begin with. We've been hosting our own email for 5 years and I've never seen this issue. now, all of a sudden, recently, I've seen 3 different users with this same issue. It makes me wonder if something about the application changed through a windows update that would affect the way Outlook recignizes addresses with single quotes before and after them.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:54 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue as the OP, but following all the steps above has not fixed it.  No change at all in my error messages of undeliverable, but in OWA or on my phones the same address works perfectly fine. 

I manually type in the address that I fail to, do not use auto complete and I still fail.  In fact, as of this morning I'd never emailed this person in my company before at all, and I failed on the first message I ever sent.  Seems to be a problem in the global address book, as when I type in the address as I'm typing the subject it will become underlined and the persons name only as it checks against the global address book I guess.  So it sees them there, then fails and says the address cannot be found when I send it.

Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010.  Pulling my hair out I swear lol.   Some users cannot email some people that I can, others all fail to some people, all in all I'm confused currently.  Whatever, everyone can send fine from phones and OWA.

I've cleared out the auto complete options, turned them off, new email profile, ran the MS fix it tools, etc with no successes so far anyway.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:17 PM