none
Locked Out of Windows Home Server 2011 - Removed Password

Question

• Hi All

I made a bit of a boo boo. This relates to Windows Home Server 2011. Basically I needed my server to boot directly to desktop and not go to a login screen. I thought I know I will just remove the password (bad decision).

It now goes to the login screen and it won't let me login with no password. It says something about not being allowed.

So I am now stuck at the Login screen. I don't really want to have to re-install the OS again, so any help would be great.

Cheers

Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hello neilmjones,
    mmm, there is something strange: if you was able to reset password to blank, then the System was set to permit blank passwords (System Policies), so you should be able to login too.
    Are you sure you reset password to blank ?

Answering to your first question, once you resolve login issue, you can follow this Microsoft Support article How to turn on automatic logon in Windows (even if it isn't reccomended) or this other Blog post How to Enable Auto-Logon for your Server.

Note: Please, write here new TechNet Forums post link you opened on Windows Home Server 2011.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on [Vote As Help] and click on [Mark As Answer] if a post answers your question.

Monday, June 16, 2014 6:25 PM

All replies

• How did you remove the password? Have you tried logging in with the previous password?

Mark B. Cooper, President and Founder of PKI Solutions Inc., former Microsoft Senior Engineer and subject matter expert for Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS). Known as “The PKI Guy” at Microsoft for 10 years.

Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:21 PM
  • They'll help you over here.

Windows Home Server 2011 forum

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:09 PM
  • I used the normal user manager in control panel. I have tried the old password but it doesn't work
    Monday, June 16, 2014 10:37 AM
  • I'll give them a go. cheers
    Monday, June 16, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Hello neilmjones,
    mmm, there is something strange: if you was able to reset password to blank, then the System was set to permit blank passwords (System Policies), so you should be able to login too.
    Are you sure you reset password to blank ?

Answering to your first question, once you resolve login issue, you can follow this Microsoft Support article How to turn on automatic logon in Windows (even if it isn't reccomended) or this other Blog post How to Enable Auto-Logon for your Server.

Note: Please, write here new TechNet Forums post link you opened on Windows Home Server 2011.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on [Vote As Help] and click on [Mark As Answer] if a post answers your question.

Monday, June 16, 2014 6:25 PM