none
3~4 VMs on one physical server. What kind of server should I order? and ETC.

Question

• Dear all,

I am going to order a new server to host 3~4 VMs
    - SBS2011 STD (50~75 users)
    - SBS2011 Premium Addon (SQL SVR) (20 users)
    - IIS Web Server (15 users)
    And possibly
    - Sharepoint 2010 Foundation (50~75 users)

Here come some questions about this super server:
    Should this server have dual or quad Xeon processors?
    Should I order 8 SAS hard drives to form 1 RAID10 array or 2 smaller hard drives for RAID1 and 6 larger hard drives for RAID10? Why?
    How should I partition the array, if needed?

I am going to use MS Server 2012 with Hyper-V Role

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Friday, December 06, 2013 5:57 PM

Answers

• PAO = Premium Add On... one of the VM's you listed in your requirments.

As for partitions... you can indeed use all the drives as one large volume in RAID5 or 6 or 10, but you should create VM's within that space that mimic how you would partition physical drives.  So VM1 might be SBS "C" or "system" drive, VM2 might be SBS Data, seen as D by the SBS VM, VM3 could be PAO C or System, and VM4 could be PAO D or Data and so on. 

The web server and the Foundation server do indeed make sense under the scenario you list. 

Also, since this is such a busy system, and because it will be so important to the org, you might consider, budget allowing, creating a HyperV cluster to provide redundancy. 

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, December 09, 2013 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Jack:

I suggest you view this as a budget question and how to allocate your financial resources to the purchase of hardware.  To state the obvious, you would want the fastest, strongest, most competent CPU's, "enough" RAM plus a bit for safety, and enough hard drive space to hold the anticipated amount of data.  SBS does not really care about CPU, but your SQL vendor may have requirements.  SBS "likes" 24 or more GB RAM, even then you have to limit Exchange and may want to limit the included SQL instances RAM, and it likes fast hard drives, simply because there is a lot of I/O going on.

SQL has about the same requirements, but your SQL vendor will be a better source for these requirements.

Not sure what to suggest about running any web server in house.  Generally we discourage it, but if you are intending this to be a private "intranet", you will know the requirements for this better than we.

As for SharePoint foundation, it is included with SBS.

Now for the hard drives.  One of the advantages of HyperV is that the VM's are easy to reallocate between drive sets.  Certainly you will want 2-4 partitions for SBS , 2 for the PAO, and the other two possible servers are your call on space and partition use.  How you setup the underlying drives has more to do with your comfort level than I/o limits on modern 15K hard drives.  I suggest all the cache on the controller it will hold.  You could do a small RAID1 to hold the host and a larger RAID6 to hold all the guests, or you could do a RAID1 for each guest, your call.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Hi Larry,

The web server is for a third party software, it is internal.

I understand Sharepoint is included. But this client has a full time Sharepoint developer/admin, and i would not like him to touch SBS. That's why i prefer to setup a totally seperate VM just for Sharepoint and leave it to this person. Does this make sense?

What is "PAO"? Can I just create only one partition on the RAID6 array rather than 2~4 partitions? What is the benifit of multiple partitions?

Thanks

Jack

Monday, December 09, 2013 9:00 AM
  • PAO = Premium Add On... one of the VM's you listed in your requirments.

As for partitions... you can indeed use all the drives as one large volume in RAID5 or 6 or 10, but you should create VM's within that space that mimic how you would partition physical drives.  So VM1 might be SBS "C" or "system" drive, VM2 might be SBS Data, seen as D by the SBS VM, VM3 could be PAO C or System, and VM4 could be PAO D or Data and so on. 

The web server and the Foundation server do indeed make sense under the scenario you list. 

Also, since this is such a busy system, and because it will be so important to the org, you might consider, budget allowing, creating a HyperV cluster to provide redundancy. 

Monday, December 09, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Thanks Larry!
    Monday, December 09, 2013 10:09 PM