none
Microsoft Server 2008R2 Standard to Enterprise disruption

Question

• If we were to upgrade from MS server 2008 standard to enterprise, would there be a disruption of the services that are currently running on the server? Will anything need to be re-installed for the new server upgrade? What is exactly affected by this change? We don't want to do a full re-installation of everything and set up multiple programs after this upgrade. Would there be anything that will affect the server that will prevent it from functioning regularly?

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• I didn't find it documented anywhere, but we done that quite a few times on different servers without any issues. A reboot is required though.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hello,

is something must be reinstalled you have to clear with the software vendors. So contact each of them and ask.

Which Microsoft software is installed and which server roles are enabled on the machine?

The upgrade itself will at least one reboot but for Windows Server itself it works without any problems.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 05, 2013 6:53 AM

All replies

• I didn't find it documented anywhere, but we done that quite a few times on different servers without any issues. A reboot is required though.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hello,

is something must be reinstalled you have to clear with the software vendors. So contact each of them and ask.

Which Microsoft software is installed and which server roles are enabled on the machine?

The upgrade itself will at least one reboot but for Windows Server itself it works without any problems.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 05, 2013 6:53 AM
  • The roles we have installed are:

Application Server

File Services

and Web Server

Programs installed:

Syspro

SQL Server 2008

Clairity 

Friday, July 05, 2013 12:16 PM