none
Windows 8 - HyperV - differences from server versions

Question

• What are the differences between the HyperV offered in Windows 8/8.1 versus the HyperV that comes with Server 2012/2012 R2?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Only one I can think of is the licensing side of things. A Windows Server Standard installation allows you to install up to 2 copies of Windows Server as VM's on it using the hosts licence (though if you do have to VM's the host can't be used for anything other than Hyper-V), or datacentre allows unlimited VM's on that single licence. Windows 8 doesn't include any, so any VM's you create need to be licenced separately (or be using TechNet / MSDN / other free installations).

Can't think of any other difference. I believe the main reason Hyper-V is available now in 8 is because the underlying OS is the same on both so it would have been more work to disable the functionality in 8 than leave it. Therefore everything else about them is the same.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, some Server features are not supported in Client Hyper-V

The following features:

1.SR-IOV for networking

2.Synthetic Fibre Channel

3.Live Migration (with or without Failover Clustering)

4.RemoteFX

5.Hyper-V Replica

6.Customized Event viewer configuration

Also, you can refer to the similar thread about this issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aecb05a9-ccdb-4331-971d-0feb5a9d6e62/hyperv-windows-8-vs-server-2012?forum=winserverhyperv

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by arlesterc Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:14 AM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:14 AM