none
I purchased Windows 8 Prow/Media Center, now I can't get it to download

Question

• I purchased Windows 8 Pro and the Media Center pack and installed them on a computer which was recently stolen. Upon replacing the laptop with a similar machine I am unable to download Windows 8. I can connect to the site and the download begins, but it estimates more than 12 hours for the download. The few times I've tried to wait it out, something always happens to cause the download to fail. Other programs I have downloaded to replace the stolen ones have downloaded very quickly, under an hour for an above 1GB program, but Windows 8 is not hardly downloading at all. The new machine came preinstalled with Windows 8.1, but won't upgrade to Pro w/Media Center. Am I going to have to install Windows 7 and then try upgrading again, or should I be able to reinstall the OS from the website even though the version being downloaded is Windows 8 and the current OS is Windows 8.1?
    Monday, March 03, 2014 11:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to use Windows 8 Pro, you do need to reinstall your system.

For your Windows 8 download problem, I would like to suggest you try to change other network enviroment for test. Because this situation caused by your network ISP connect to Microsoft Server problem.

• Marked as answer by rebell1952 Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:05 AM

All replies

• A computer with Windows 8.1 preinstalled would require the new Windows 8.1 Pro Pack.

Carey Frisch

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharmaMVP Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to use Windows 8 Pro, you do need to reinstall your system.

For your Windows 8 download problem, I would like to suggest you try to change other network enviroment for test. Because this situation caused by your network ISP connect to Microsoft Server problem.

• Marked as answer by rebell1952 Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response, but I will not be purchasing anymore (This is totally absurd, you guys can't even program your website to work right!) Microsoft (Well since the buttons aren't working, I guess this will have to be done in bold type?!?) products in the future. I am totally fed up with Microsoft and Apple forcing their customers to constantly change to new OS's with all kinds of "bells and whistles" that I don't and have never had need for and consequently new machines in order to use their computers. I haven't programmed for years, but I'm going to go to Linux anddliub (why does this write backwards? That was supposed to be 'build') my own software. Terrible inconvenience, but maybe I can get a movement started!

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Well, I don't know what happened as I've been messing with this for 4 days and suddenly the machine is going really, really slow, so I restarted, but that was taking forever too, so I killed it by holding the start button down. When I restarted I expected it to go to the Windows didn't shut down properly page, but lo, it said "Adding features..." So, apparently one does not need the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack; since I was never able to download Windows 8 this machine upgraded to Pro with my Windows 8 Pro key and then added Media Center with that key. Still, I have no idea why this suddenly worked as the machine has been shut down several times since I started this. I did have to call the activation center because this had been installed on the machine that was stolen.

To recap what actually happened: 1) When the machine started it added the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack, using the Windows 8 Pro Pack key; I had to call the Activation Center to activate. I then had to restart again and it again said "Adding features..." and it installed Media Center for Windows 8.1 Pro, using the Windows 8 Media Center key. Note also, that these keys had been entered days ago and I was told they were not good when I entered them.

Puzzler?!?

• Edited by rebell1952 Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:24 AM Left out a step
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:21 AM