none
How do I increase the time limit I have at Boot Up to cancel CHKDSK

Question

• Sounds like a weird one?

I have a VM running 2008R2

I have access rights to the VM and no higher.

The host has set up the server to run CHKDSK at every boot. They say this avoids possiblity of BSOD when they change the size of disk etc etc.

Good for them, time consuming for me... when Windows does a normal update.

They have given me a solution to remove a BAT file and change the REG so this doesn't happen, but I want to simply adjust the "time to cancel the CHKDSK" at boot up.

I am happy to cancel it that way and leave the VM vanilla as they set it up.

The reason I need it longer is that the Java Console they use takes a while to activate and by the time it shows me the server booting. Windows has already passed the point where I can cancel the CHKDSK... Hence if |I could increase to time to choose to around 30 secs from 10 I would save time as the CHKDSK would only run when I wanted it to...

I have checked the web but can find no mention of the REG key that maybe used to adjust this...

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Colin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AutoChkTimeOut

Change the default value which is 10 sec, from 0 to 300 seconds (5 minutes).

If the key is not there create one (ie. right click empty space and create a new DWORD Value AutoChkTimeOut

Right click - modify - choose Decimal - add the time delay you want.

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

• Edited by artiste1 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by FZB Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by cooltidecol Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AutoChkTimeOut

Change the default value which is 10 sec, from 0 to 300 seconds (5 minutes).

If the key is not there create one (ie. right click empty space and create a new DWORD Value AutoChkTimeOut

Right click - modify - choose Decimal - add the time delay you want.

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

• Edited by artiste1 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by FZB Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by cooltidecol Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:32 PM
  • What can I say?

Thanks very much... I was searching for CHKDSK not AutoChk

This solution works for me. It allows for my flaky, slow, Java Applet to splutter into life and display the boot screen in time for me to cancel the CHKDSK.

I shall now go back to pretending that I have a life outside of IT :)

Once again, thank you

Kind regards

Colin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:29 PM
  • I set it to a reasonable 10 seconds, thanx for the info. I got tripped up by that "Hex/Decimal" thing which sets it at 16 seconds if you input 10h.

I'll see if it works, it irritates me when my system wants to do a 2 hour boot CHKDSK when I absolutely know it is not needed. I take it that this will work for Windows 8 servers and Workstations as well right? Thanx again!

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:56 PM