none
Remote Web Workspace (RWW) Trusted Certificate problem when connected Wirelessly to Windows SBS2008

Question

• I have a SBS2008 network with 2 Windows 7 64-bit domain-joined clients. I am able to access the server and other computers using RWW when cable-connected on both clients. However, when I try a wireless RWW connection it comes up with Certificate errors. What am I missing?

Please help.

Greg

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• Do you see any difference on an IPCONFIG /ALL when cable connected / wireless?

Assume you are going to the same address when cabled /wireless?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2010)
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting here.

Yes , you may compare the URL address of RWW site that you attempted to access when client computer was connected to wire or wireless network.

Generally, there are three key portions of the certificate you should noticed:

·         The Name of the certificate must match your public URL

·         The Certificate chain must be trusted by your client machine

·         The Certificate needs to be valid in terms of the date/time

For more information please refer to the link below:

Common Remote Web Workplace (RWW) Connect to a Computer Issues in SBS 2008

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/06/19/common-remote-web-workplace-rww-connect-to-a-computer-issues-in-sbs-2008.aspx

SBS 2008: Introduction to Remote Web Workplace

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/06/25/sbs-2008-introduction-to-remote-web-workplace.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Hi Greg,

Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you.

Thanks,

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Hello Tiger

I have tried everything !

• The name of the certificate MATCHES the public URL
    • The certificate chain IS trusted by my client machine
    • The certificate IS valid in terms of the date and time
    • I can PING the SBS 2008 Server and she can PING me
    • IPCONFIG/ALL is OK on both Client AND Server
    • I can connect to the SharePoint CompanyWeb directly via the browser

I just cannot connect to my SBS2008 Server via RWW using the "https://remote.<<website_address>>.com/remote

NOTE: 1 AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE ON THE CLIENT. (brand new machine with the CORRECT specs) COULD THAT BE AN ISSUE ? I am now considering purchasing  a Third Party Trusted Certificate. How do I go about that ?

FRUSTRATING ..........

Greg  

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Also ... My SBS 2008 Server has SP1 installed

Greg

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:27 PM
  • In article <afa47507-e13d-46ef-b2fc-a1a04951c9e7
    @communitybridge.codeplex.com>, Greg Rewane-Dakolo, Greg Rewane-Dakolo says...

Hello Tiger

I have tried everything !

* The name of the certificate MATCHES the public URL * The certificate
    chain IS trusted by my client machine * The certificate IS valid in
    terms of the date and time * I can PING the SBS 2008 Server and she
    can PING me * IPCONFIG/ALL is OK on both Client AND Server * I can
    connect to the SharePoint CompanyWeb directly via the browser

I just cannot connect to my SBS2008 Server via RWW using the
    "https://remote.<<website_address>>.com/remote

*NOTE: 1 AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE ON THE CLIENT. (brand new
    machine with the CORRECT specs) COULD THAT BE AN ISSUE ? I am now

It could be an issue.  You must run IE in admin mode - so from the Start orb, right-click Internet Explorer and run as admin.  RWW Won't work otherwise.

Duncan.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi Greg,

Thanks for update.

Have you tried the troubleshooting methods that discussed in the blog article links I posted ?

Meanwhile, by performing build in “Add a Trusted Certificate Wizard” could help you to purchase and install a third party certificate:

Introducing the “Add a Trusted Certificate Wizard” in SBS 2008

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/20/introducing-the-add-a-trusted-certificate-wizard-in-sbs-2008.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi Greg,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Tiger Li

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi Tiger

I am working on it. I'll let you know the result shortly. Thanks for getting back to me

Greg

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi Greenlight

I will give it a go tonight.

Thanks a lot!

Greg

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi Greg,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Tiger Li

Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Hello Tiger

No, no, no ! As I said earlier I've tried everything. This does not work either. It comes up with a "Certificate Not Installed. Contact your Administrator" error. I am logged on as an Administrator anyway. I also tried right-clicking the .exe file and selected "Run As Administrator". Also, here is something else I tried:

I copied the Certificate Distribution Package from the Server onto a memory stick and copied onto the local hard disk of the client machine. Tried running it that way and still same error message. Finally, I connected remotely from the Server to the Client using RWW. Took control of the client machine and tried to install the certificate remotely and guess what? Same damn message keeps popping up. Surely it cannot be such a pain to install a certificate. Frustration is now my middle name.  

What can you do for me, Tiger ? Remember everything else is in place. All the Pings and Ipconfig /all ...

Greg

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hey Greg,

Did this error occur on both Win7 clients? The error you're experiencing usually happens when the certificate is invalid, you can open it up by double clicking on the sbscert.cer file thats inside the folder. You can install the cert manually but its a bit of a pain, heres the link with directions on how to do it. Remember while you have the cert open check it to verify that its valid.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2007/04/10/installing-a-self-signed-certificate-as-a-trusted-root-ca-in-windows-vista.aspx

In addition to what the guide says I run the import wizard three times, the first time I let it import automatically, the second two times I do it to the Trusted Root, and then again with the Physical Stores checked. That way it covers all my bases in case something doesnt work and I have to do it again.

Another thought, is this a recommisioned SBS box, or a clean brand new install? Sometimes if you have more than one cert, it doesnt update it properly and it errors out. Following the link above's instructions should help you out instead of using the cert from the Certficate Installation Package. If you don't get the Security Warning - Certificate error upon visiting the site then chances are the certficate is trusted already and I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I've been reading everything above and I'm not sure if you've done it already or not but I noticed that no ones asked you to run the Fix My Network Wizard and Best Practices Analyzer. If you havent done it and the import doesnt work, run the FMNW first as that should fix a corrupt certificate and then try the Add a Trusted Certificate wizard. Let us know if you need help running any of these wizards.

• Edited by GreenlightTech Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:28 PM incomplete sentence
    • Proposed as answer by GreenlightTech Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:32 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:28 PM
  • HI Greg 

I had the same issue. it seems to affect all pcs running windows 7 and windows 8. The issue I found was not with the certificate but where it is installed by default by the OS/IE. There's no need to purchase a third party certificate. While you are on the domain it doesn't  care as much about the certificate that's why the problem doesn't appear. once you try and connect externally you run into the issue.

What I did to resolve this

1. Right click certificate and click install Certificate
    2. In the wizard click next 
    3. Choose Place all certificate in the following store 
    4. click browse
    5. select  Trusted Root Certification Authorities
    6. select ok
    7. click next 
    8. click finish

The test RWW via wireless

• Proposed as answer by aNoviceTech Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:47 AM
  • HI Greg 

I had the same issue. it seems to affect all pcs running windows 7 and windows 8. The issue I found was not with the certificate but where it is installed by default by the OS/IE. There's no need to purchase a third party certificate. While you are on the domain it doesn't  care as much about the certificate that's why the problem doesn't appear. once you try and connect externally you run into the issue.

What I did to resolve this

1. Right click certificate and click install Certificate
    2. In the wizard click next 
    3. Choose Place all certificate in the following store 
    4. click browse
    5. select  Trusted Root Certification Authorities
    6. select ok
    7. click next 
    8. click finish

The test RWW via wireless

You forgot to mention also that you *must* run IE in admin mode (can't install a cert otherwise on a Win7/8 machine).

But he's been there, done that - and has not worked.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:55 AM