none
Can' Connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 Advanced Services

Question

• I'm trying to learn SQL Server 2008 R2 and have installed the Advanced Services version on my home PC running Windows 7 Professional.  The installation went well but when I click on SQL Management Studio and then click the Connect button, I get the following error message below.

I've tried looking at some of the other posts, but many of the answers refer to network issues and  I'm not on a network.  Can you please advise?

Thank you in advance.

Chuck

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:09 PM

Answers

• Network should not be the problem, right.

Is the instance actually running?

Check Services in the already mentioned "SQL Server Configuration Manager" for the state. If stopped, then Start.

Also, if the Instance name is any other than MSSQLSERVER, and I would assume, since this is an Express Version, that it might well me something like <ComputerName\EXPRESS>, then this as, what you have to enter in the Servername-box.

You may also just use the drop down, and it will list all running instances on your local computer.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server

Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter

• Edited by Andreas.WolterMVP Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chuck IT Monday, August 12, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chuck IT Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chuck IT Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:33 PM

All replies

• Are you connecting to Database Engine or one of the other options? What are you entering for "Server name" when you try to connect? If you're connecting to localhost / 127.0.0.1, go into SQL Server Configuration Manager, SQL Server Network Configuration, Protocols for MSSQLSERVER, and check in the TCP/IP properties (assuming it's already enabled). In the IP Addresses make sure the interface you're using to connect is enabled.
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Network should not be the problem, right.

Is the instance actually running?

Check Services in the already mentioned "SQL Server Configuration Manager" for the state. If stopped, then Start.

Also, if the Instance name is any other than MSSQLSERVER, and I would assume, since this is an Express Version, that it might well me something like <ComputerName\EXPRESS>, then this as, what you have to enter in the Servername-box.

You may also just use the drop down, and it will list all running instances on your local computer.

• Edited by Andreas.WolterMVP Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chuck IT Monday, August 12, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chuck IT Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chuck IT Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

According to your error message,please try the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Please ensure SQL Server is running. We can start it by Start->All Program->Microsoft SQL Server-> Configuration Tools-> SQL Server Configuration Manager->SQL Server services->SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER)
    2. Please check whether your server name is right.

For more detail please referring follow links:
    http://www.aspdotnet-suresh.com/2011/11/network-related-or-instance-specific.html
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx

Regards,
    Nicole Yu

Nicole Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:28 AM
  • I have SQLEXPRESS not MSSQLSERVER.  I don't remember changing it. I just tool the defaults.  See screen shot.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:00 AM
  • I have SQLEXPRESS not MSSQLSERVER.  I don't remember changing it. I just tool the defaults.  See screen shot.

If I have to change it, how do I do that?

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:01 AM

If I have to change it, how do I do that?

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:03 AM
  • Hi Chuck,

According to your screen shot, the edition of SQL Server you are using is SQL express, in this edition we can’t just use ”.” as server name to connect database engine. We can use” .\SQLEXPRESS” to have a try.

If it didn’t work, please try to use your exactly server name or your IP address + port number on the Server Name textbox and try again.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Nicole Yu

Nicole Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:49 AM

"Also, if the Instance name is any other than MSSQLSERVER, and I would assume, since this is an Express Version, that it might well me something like <ComputerName\EXPRESS>, then this as, what you have to enter in the Servername-box."

This is in fact the case

so use YourComputerName\SQLExpress in the Servername box. SQLExpress is the name of your instance which you can see in your screenshot. Then you should be fine.

Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:14 AM
  • I could not find Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.

But I did specify COMPUTERNAME\SQLSEXPRESS and was able to connect.

Thank you.

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:31 AM
  • That worked!

Thank you

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Thank you.

Andreas led me to the correct answer.

Chuck

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:34 AM