none
Error 105 DNS Issue

    Question

  • Hello,

    We are experiencing a strange DNS effecting our ability to connect to only one particular website seemingly at random. Previously we could connect without any issues. In the past couple of weeks users will type in the web address and we get an error in the browser that the address cannot be resolved. Chrome returns Error 105 and we have tried Firefox and IE and get similar messages in each. There are no errors in the DNS log but if I clear the cache on all DNS servers the issue goes away for a while before coming back again. Using nslookup we can definitely see that it’s failing at our DNS servers. If I switch to  a public DNS server we can get to the site every time. I am looking for help troubleshooting what might be causing this. Please let me know what additional information I would need to provide.

    Thank You,

    EDIT: Sorry, OS is Server 2008 R2 running
    • Edited by mkcsit Monday, June 24, 2013 8:33 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hello,

    unfortunate you didn't mention the OS version you are talking about.

    See here about EDNS0 http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/11/edns0-extension-mechanisms-for-dns.aspx

    If this is in a domain then assure to use domain internal DNS servers on the domain machines NICs and configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS management console for the DNS servers.


    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

    Monday, June 24, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for the response and I updated my question. We are using server 2008 R2. I followed the link in your reply but unfortunately I do not believe this is the issue. Any additional information you can provide would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Check your DNS forwarder setting in your DNS's console and on your server NIC card.

    Seem to me a problematic's zone in one of your public DNS that your DNS try to get an answer from.

    Try nslookup by specifing the public server.

    I doutbh you use the same public DNS on the client than your server setting.

    If the same, check if you use WINS


    MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    Microsoft Translator Widget - French moderator (Technet Wiki)

    Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/


    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:41 AM
    Moderator