none
SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 - Client Install on SiteServer (PrimarySite)

Question

• We have an issue with SCCM 2012 Client deployment on our primary site all other clients are installing correctly the error is attached.

I have tried various ways to install client push even tried the SP1 Client using ccmsetup /source and this also fails at the same point.

I have done self service google and discovered this

http://www.mail-archive.com/mssms@lists.myitforum.com/msg03811.html

Anyone any ideas????

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:45 PM

Answers

• please use PATCH=hotfix path of SCCM SP1 CU3 path to fix this issue along with your installation parameters (manual or client push)

Prashant Patil

• Proposed as answer by PRASHANT9 Friday, October 04, 2013 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Dewhurst Friday, October 04, 2013 7:40 AM
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:05 AM

All replies

• Tony,

How are you deploying the client update?

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:50 PM
  • 80041002=

Not found

Source: Windows Management (WMI)

Also, 1603 is a MSI exit code meaning fatal error occurred.

Have you verified you are running the SP1 sccm client and not RTM on the machine is question?

Justin Chalfant | My Blog | LinkedIn | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your post

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Tony,

How are you deploying the client update?

Cheers

We have tried deploying the client using a ccmsetup.exe command line, and also client install from the Console, same result.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:10 PM
  • 80041002=

Not found

Source: Windows Management (WMI)

Also, 1603 is a MSI exit code meaning fatal error occurred.

Have you verified you are running the SP1 sccm client and not RTM on the machine is question?

Justin Chalfant | My Blog | LinkedIn | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your post

Thanks, we have checked the error codes.

We have tested the client install onto the primary server in three different sites, on different networks/labs/environments with the same result.

Yes we have verified we are running SP1 CU3 and that the client files are the correct versions.

To eliminate the probable cause of CU3 updates being at fault, we have obtained the Client folder from the SP1 ISO (the later released updated SP1 ISO), with the exact same error.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:13 PM
  • As Justin says which client version is currently installed? I

Cheers

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Totally fresh install no current client installed but CU3 is installed on the local primary site SCCM
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Had the same problem here, with the same error message.

To solve I had to

1 - Uninstall CU3 on my primary server
    2 - Push SP1 client on primary server
    3 - Update my primary server to CU3
    4 - Deploy CU3 client package to primary server to update client

Just to make sure I rebooted between the steps

Like stated in the link of the first post, it looks like SP1 client can't be installed on a primary server on which SP1 CU3 is already installed

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Yes I suspected as much I may be tempted to try and wait until R2 as it is only effecting one server.

But wow what a bug, I will keep monitoring this thread and see if anything new info appears.....

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Had the same problem here, with the same error message.

To solve I had to

1 - Uninstall CU3 on my primary server
    2 - Push SP1 client on primary server
    3 - Update my primary server to CU3
    4 - Deploy CU3 client package to primary server to update client

Just to make sure I rebooted between the steps

Like stated in the link of the first post, it looks like SP1 client can't be installed on a primary server on which SP1 CU3 is already installed

These are very drastic measures to go to on a live primary site when this is only one client install that is failing.  I think we should either wait for R2 and hope that fixes it, or engage with MS Support, which from previous experience has been a very painful and fruitless experience.

I think we will wait for R2 and hope that Microsoft are made aware of this problem.....

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:03 AM
  • please use PATCH=hotfix path of SCCM SP1 CU3 path to fix this issue along with your installation parameters (manual or client push)

Prashant Patil

• Proposed as answer by PRASHANT9 Friday, October 04, 2013 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Dewhurst Friday, October 04, 2013 7:40 AM
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:05 AM

Prashant Patil

I dont think this will make a difference, as the msp is always applied after the client has installed.  Will try it though....
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:12 AM
  • please try it, you will get positive results :-)

Prashant Patil

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:20 AM
  • please try it, you will get positive results :-)

Prashant Patil

You win

It worked :)

Client installed.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Thanks Mike for your confirmation.

Prashant Patil

• Edited by PRASHANT9 Friday, October 04, 2013 7:11 AM
    Friday, October 04, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Many thanks Prashant

Points make prizes (o:

Friday, October 04, 2013 7:40 AM
  • With patch=hotfixpath of cu3 are referring to what would be appended to the installation properties of the client push?  So for instance you would use the string smssitecode=abc fsp=path patch=hotfix path, etc.?  I just want to make sure I am interpreting that correctly.  At some point we may need to install a client from the admin console, and we also want to ensure it installs correctly when new machines come into the system and sup tells them they need to install the client.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:00 PM
  • Hi pchw, you are correct. please do remember that if you specify the hotfix for both versions (x86 & x64) directly it does not work with client push installation & installation gets failed. there is workaround available for the same , please do search for the same. Currently I don't have link for the same.

Prashant Patil

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Thank you.  But wouldn't the update already have a separate folder in its structure to delineate both versions?  For example, in the client installation folder it has the setup files and a folder for each version, so wouldn't the patch also have that file structure, so you could place the patch folder in the same location and when the cu installs with the client it would make that determination, much in the same way it would determine what version of the client to install in the first place, thereby negating the need to specify the version?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:14 PM