none
how do i move d:\DFSRoots to c:\DFSRoots

Question

• My d:\DFSRoots is on a SAN that is going away. I have already migrated all of my data shares to new locations, which leaves just the d:\DFSRoots folder. i have seen a lot of blogs on this with all kinds of SIMPLE solutions, but i'm not getting it. I would like to move my d:\DFSRoots folder to c:\DFSRoots on the same server, some step-by-step answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 9:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you have mentioned, the d:\DFSRoots folder only holds the links, so the folder is not very large. How about just leaving the folder on drive C?  

If you need to, even if you successfully move the d:\DFSRoots to c:\DFSRoots, it will not be recognized as the old settings is still in AD. Thus it is still recommended to recreate the namespace and add folder targets.

You can simply recreate the namespace then change the DFSRoots location.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mandy Ye

• Marked as answer by bellspen Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:39 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The steps you are going to do are:

1. Migrate folders from Drive D to Drive C with Robocopy to keep security settings.

Robocopy
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx

2. Remove the folder target in DFS management.

Delete a DFS root, root target, link, or target
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740147(WS.10).aspx

3. Add Folder Targets: share the new folder, add to DFS-namespace. It should ask for creating a replication group. If not, right click on the folder under namespace and choose Replicate Folder.

Add Folder Targets
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732105.aspx

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mandy Ye

• Marked as answer by bellspen Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bellspen Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Thanks Mandy,

This is where my confusion lies. I have already used robocopy and migrated all my datashares (6TB+) and successfully restarted replication on all 29 of my namespace targets. The only thing that is left is the DFSRoots folder which is sitting on my D drive. I realize this folder only holds the links to what I have already moved, but I haven’t figured this part out.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:08 PM
  • btw, my root server is 2008 R2
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

As you have mentioned, the d:\DFSRoots folder only holds the links, so the folder is not very large. How about just leaving the folder on drive C?  

If you need to, even if you successfully move the d:\DFSRoots to c:\DFSRoots, it will not be recognized as the old settings is still in AD. Thus it is still recommended to recreate the namespace and add folder targets.

You can simply recreate the namespace then change the DFSRoots location.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mandy Ye

• Marked as answer by bellspen Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:39 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Mandy,

It was as simple as you said. all i did was delete the old namespaces and then recreate them pointing to C$ and then add the folder targets back in

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:41 PM