none
Cannot use PowerPoint and Whiteboard externally

Question

• Hello,

Internally everything works. 

Externally, if I use Lync client, I can share Whiteboard if I use Lync client.  If I use web client, whiteboard does not work.  Powerpoint does not work in both cases.

When I use web client, nothing changes. When I use Lync client, it says Loading, but never loads and does not give me any errors.  I waited for about 40 minutes.

I have one Lync FE in Enterprise pool.  One Lync Edge Server.  One TMG server.  One Office Web Apps (OWA) Server.  I am not sure.  Is it OWA?  I configured internal URL, but did not setup external URL.  Do I need it?  Do I have to setup external DNS record for this server?  Do I need to setup anything on TMG for this server?

Or do I have another problem that is not related to OWA server?

Thank you.

Thank you. Eric.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:28 PM

All replies

• You will need an External IP, reverse proxy entry and Third party certificate for the Office Web Apps Server. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219435.aspx
    Friday, July 19, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I will set it up this weekend.

At this time I created external record for office web apps server and setup reverse proxy rule.  If this is the issue, why there are no any requests for this new external record arriving to the TMG server?  I am running logs and there is nothing about this connection and whiteboard/powerpoint sharing.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Whiteboard will not use the Office Web Apps Server. Are your clients using the Lync 2013 client? As 2010 will not use Office Web Apps Server either. On your Office Web Apps Server Farm have you set both the internal and external urls?
    Friday, July 19, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I setup TMG with public certificate and created publishing rule.  Nothing changed. The same issue.

We use Lync 2013 client.  It does not work either I use Lync 2013 client or Lync Web App.

I have setup Office Web Apps Server Farm with both external and internal URLs.

Thank you. Eric.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Test the OWAS discovery url externally and internally: https://OWASPool.domain.com/hosting/discovery/

you should see XML output if successful.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:36 PM
  • I reinstalled Office Web Apps server and everything work if external client uses Lync client.

If they try to use Lync Web client, we have the same issue.

What is the difference between those two?  Not sure why would it give me different result.

Thank you. Eric.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:36 PM
  • I tested the URL you gave me and it works.

Thank you. Eric.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Is the Reverse Proxy/TMG Simple urls (meet, Lync web services, ...) going to 4443 on the front end or 443? Maybe the issue is via the Lync Web App you're receiving the internal OWAS url. Try creating a host file entry on your test machine pointing the internal OWAS url to the External OWAS IP.

The system you're using to test via the Lync Web App externally, are you using an AD user, computer is a member of your domain and trusts the Root CA? Could be a certificate trust issue.

You mentioned you didn't see anything in the TMG logs, has this changed?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Interesting idea.  I hoped it would work, but it did not.  I added internal url to the hosts file of the computer, but it did not help.

The external computer is not domain PC.  I am logging in as a guest, not internal user.

I use public trusted certificate.  If I go to https://OWASPool.domain.com/hosting/discovery/, the certificate is OK.

TMG logs show owaspool.domain.com entries only if I use Lync client.  If I use Lync Web Apps, lots of external fqdn requests, but not owarspool.domain.com.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Guess the next step is to run wireshark on the external computer and view what it's trying to do.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I would also try an external domain computer with an AD user. Maybe the OWAS rule on TMG is requiring pre-authentication?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:46 PM
  • I was never good at reading Wireshark.  Can you give me some tips on what am I looking for and how.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Look at Jeff Schertz Wireshark Capture Tips blog posting: http://blog.schertz.name/2011/10/wireshark-capture-tips/

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:55 PM
  • I run wireshark with help one of my coworkers.  There are no entries related to the owaspool.domain.com url or to external IP address.

Couple more items.  If I setup external client as a presenter, there is no option to present PowerPoint or Whiteboard.  If I present application or desktop from external web app, it works and internal client can see it.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Check your Conferencing Policy in the Lync control panel, maybe you're blocking anonymous participants for data collaboration.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:08 PM
  • PS C:\Users\user> Get-CsConferencingPolicy

Identity                                  : Global
    AllowIPAudio                              : True
    AllowIPVideo                              : True
    AllowMultiView                            : True
    Description                               :
    AllowParticipantControl                   : True
    AllowAnnotations                          : True
    DisablePowerPointAnnotations              : False
    AllowUserToScheduleMeetingsWithAppSharing : True
    AllowNonEnterpriseVoiceUsersToDialOut     : False
    AllowAnonymousUsersToDialOut              : False
    AllowAnonymousParticipantsInMeetings      : True
    AllowExternalUsersToSaveContent           : True
    AllowExternalUserControl                  : False
    AllowExternalUsersToRecordMeeting         : False
    AllowPolls                                : True
    AllowSharedNotes                          : True
    AllowQandA                                : True
    EnableDialInConferencing                  : True
    EnableAppDesktopSharing                   : Desktop
    AllowConferenceRecording                  : False
    EnableP2PRecording                        : False
    EnableFileTransfer                        : True
    EnableP2PFileTransfer                     : True
    EnableP2PVideo                            : True
    AllowLargeMeetings                        : False
    EnableOnlineMeetingPromptForLyncResources : False
    EnableDataCollaboration                   : True
    MaxVideoConferenceResolution              : VGA
    MaxMeetingSize                            : 250
    AudioBitRateKb                            : 200
    VideoBitRateKb                            : 50000
    AppSharingBitRateKb                       : 50000
    FileTransferBitRateKb                     : 50000
    TotalReceiveVideoBitRateKb                : 50000
    EnableMultiViewJoin                       : True

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Check that the time and time zone are the same on Domain Controller, Lync Front End, Edge server and external client.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Check that the time and time zone are the same on Domain Controller, Lync Front End, Edge server and external client.

It is the same.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Have you tried the Web app as guest and authenticated user externally? Same results?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Same result.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Did you try a domain computer with an AD user externally ?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:17 PM
  • I did not try domain computer.  I cannot do it at this time.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Did you check the box in Topology Builder to enable conferencing on the Front End/Pool?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Yes, I did.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Does desktop and application sharing work?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Yes, those are the only once that work.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Lync Deployment Wizard Run Step 2 (Setup or Remove Lync Server Components) again on the Front Ends and stop/start the Lync services (stop-csservices, start-csservices), invoke replication (Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication), confirm replication status is true for all servers (wait a few minutes and get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus) and try testing again.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Done.  Does not work.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:31 AM
  • Can you write out what is currently working and not for Lync Web App (External/Internal) and Lync client (External/Federated/Internal). Also if you have the Lync Monitoring reports deploy provide the errors seen.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Everything works, but:

PowerPoint, Whiteboard, Poll do not work when presentation is from internal to external and only when external client uses Lync Web App.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:29 AM
  • And to confirm your reverse proxy is redirecting to 4443 not 443 on the Lync Front End?
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Yes. Everything else is setup and works, including mobility.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Check Lync file share permissions, Lync Server/Edge Date.

Do you have Lync Monitoring configured? These reports will direct you where to look next.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:06 AM
  • The scenario now is that external user can share PowerPoint, Whiteboard, Poll with Lync 2013 while external Lync web app can’t, right?

Seems like a network issue.

Collect the logging file when you share PowerPoint, Whiteboard and Poll separately.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/communicator-help/collect-client-side-logs-in-lync-web-app-HA102066549.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:29 AM
  • The scenario now is that external user can share PowerPoint, Whiteboard, Poll do not work when presentation with Lync 2013 while external Lync web app can’t, right?

Seems like a network issue.

Yes, this is correct.  and yes, I agree that it looks like the network issue.  Not sure what could it be.  I do not think there is a difference between external Lync client and Lync web app, but one works and another one does not.

Monitoring is not configured.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Post the log file details following the url Lisa provided.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:15 AM
  • This is the Local logs window. Each message is formatted and coded as follows:
    Time, Level, Module, Component, Message, Caller [, Stack]
    TL_ERROR
    TL_WARN
    TL_INFO
    TL_ASSERT
    TL_VERBOSE
    TL_NOISE
    Dumping Logs: Dump Requested Time - Wed Jul 24 09:30:08 CDT 2013, Reference Time - Wed Jul 24 09:26:34 CDT 2013
    9:26:43:663, TL_ERROR, , UCWASpecificCommunication, Request failed:,  Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous

9:26:43:664, TL_ERROR, , UCWASpecificCommunication, <response>%!PII!{"code":"Conflict","message":"There was a conflict that prevented the operation from starting. Please try again later."}!< \response>,  Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$$Q, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$$Q Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$logResponseBody Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous </response>

9:26:43:665, TL_ERROR, , Conversations, Getting dialin information for conversation 1D82EDC7-0CDB-4E46-B86E-DE1AB164142C failed. StatusCode = genericError,  Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ConversationMessenger$$Gr_0, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ConversationMessenger$$Gr_0 anonymous Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$fireResultsAndFinishContext Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous

9:29:8:625, TL_WARN, , AudioVideoUI, No audio device found! Not creating the device selection menu in AV Toolbar.,  Lync_Client_Controls_Audio_AudioPeekViewModel$$2g_4
    9:29:8:633, TL_ASSERT, , Utils, Exception occured while firing Async Event event id AudioEvent exception Error: Not implemented ,  Lync_Client_Logging_UtilLogger$assert
    9:29:9:152, TL_ERROR, , UCWASpecificCommunication, Request failed:,  Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous

9:29:9:153, TL_ERROR, , UCWASpecificCommunication, <response>%!PII!{"code":"ServiceFailure","message":"Your request couldn\u0027t be completed.","debugInfo":{"Code":"503","Diagnostics":"2019","errorReportId":"cbcae6d62620497d88404fb3a4527b19"}}!< \response>,  Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$$Q, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$$Q Lync_Client_Model_Transport_TransportUtils$logResponseBody Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous </response>

9:29:9:155, TL_ERROR, , Conversations, Failed to publish join time,  Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ConversationMessenger$$Lo_0, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ConversationMessenger$$Lo_0 anonymous Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$fireResultsAndFinishContext Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$$Es_1 Lync_Client_Model_Session_UCWACommunicationContext$onError Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$M_0 Lync_Client_Model_Transport_Connection$$d_0 anonymous

9:29:9:159, TL_ERROR, , AVModality, Can not start audio call without devices,  Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_AVModality$handleOnPluginLoaded, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_AVModality$handleOnPluginLoaded Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_AVModality$componentStateChanged anonymous anonymous Lync_Client_Common_EventSource$fireEvent Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginComponent$$3_1 Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginComponent$$1A_1 anonymous Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginObject$$1Q_1 Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginObjectManager$handleEvent HandlePluginEvent _AVComponent_8::OnEvent

9:29:9:162, TL_ERROR, , Conversations, Error while getting connection context for audioVideo modality in the conversation 1D82EDC7-0CDB-4E46-B86E-DE1AB164142C. StatusCode = audioDeviceNotConfigured,  Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ModalityConnectOperation$$EY_1, STACKTRACE::
    Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_ModalityConnectOperation$$EY_1 anonymous Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_AVModality$handleOnPluginLoaded Lync_Client_Model_Conversation_AVModality$componentStateChanged anonymous anonymous Lync_Client_Common_EventSource$fireEvent Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginComponent$$3_1 Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginComponent$$1A_1 anonymous Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginObject$$1Q_1 Lync_Client_PluginFramework_PluginObjectManager$handleEvent HandlePluginEvent _AVComponent_8::OnEvent

9:29:9:206, TL_ASSERT, , Utils, Exception occured while firing Async Event event id AudioEvent exception Error: Not implemented ,  Lync_Client_Logging_UtilLogger$assert
    9:29:9:226, TL_ASSERT, , Utils, Exception occured while firing Async Event event id AudioEvent exception Error: Unexpected call to method or property access.,  Lync_Client_Logging_UtilLogger$assert
    9:29:12:681, TL_WARN, , Options, No telephony devices found. Not creating the menu for Options dialog,  Lync_Client_Controls_Options_OptionsDeviceSettingsViewModel$$W_3
    9:29:12:681, TL_WARN, , Options, No audio render devices found. Not creating the menu for Options dialog,  Lync_Client_Controls_Options_OptionsDeviceSettingsViewModel$$s_3
    9:29:12:681, TL_WARN, , Options, No audio capture devices found. Not creating the menu for Options dialog,  Lync_Client_Controls_Options_OptionsDeviceSettingsViewModel$$r_3
    Dumping Logs ENDED
    Logger Registered: Wed Jul 24 09:30:08 CDT 2013, Reference Time - Wed Jul 24 09:26:34 CDT 2013

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:31 PM
  • The problem is that when I use Lync client, I can see on the TMG that it talks to the office web apps server using external url.  When I use Lync Web App client, it does not.  No communication between the external user and Office Web Apps Server.

Lync Web App client tells me that "No one is presenting"

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:32 PM
  • What is the OS, Service Pack and Browser versions? Disable any popup blocker and temporary disable client antivirus, try again.

Also try promoting the external user to presenter and try to upload a PowerPoint through the Lync web app.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:13 PM
  • I am trying it on Windows Server 2012.  Fully updates.  IE version is 10.  Popup blocker is disabled and I do not have any antivirus installed.

When I promote user to presenter, I do not have an option for PowerPoint, whiteboard, or poll.  Only Desktop or Application sharing.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Windows 2012 is not a supported operating system for Lync Web App, can you try on a different OS? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425820.aspx
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:11 PM
  • I used this server for presentations before and it worked.  That was different client.

I tried using Windows 7 Pro with the same result.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Do you get any messages on the clients or is all they do Loading...?  We had way to many problems with Lync (same as you described and more) what ended up fixing many of our problems was reloading the edge server.  All that is left is a certificate issued on the WAC server. 
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:11 PM
  • No, I do not see any error messages on Lync FE, Edge, TMG, or Office Web Apps Servers.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Are there messages on the clients in the stage or does it say Loading...?  Sorry, should have been more specific.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:29 PM
  • No errors on the client.  It does not look like it can see that there is a sharing.  The screen should divide and show people on the top and presentation on the bottom. In my case it is not happening.  It does not see that there is a sharing.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Front End has the latest CU2 applied and database updated? Try running the CU installer again to see if all components are listed as current.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:36 PM
  • I had some similar issues with the Web App client and found the best way to figure things out was to use a browwer web dev tool like Firebug in Firefox so I could see the actual calls to servers from the web page itself (Wireshark doesn't give you much with every running through SSL, just endpoint IP's etc). If you can get the Web App up and running in Firefox and then turn on the "Web Developer" tools (I'm sure there is something similar for IE) and select Net and watch the URL's go by as you try to share whiteboards etc you'll be able to see if it goes to the right servers (and FQDN's) and if so, what errors are sent back. That helped me enormously when trying to track down my issue

Steve

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:31 PM
  • What do you have set in the Lync topology as the wac server? Do you have your external wac URL set as the URL in the topology. Sorry I don't have the server in front of me to tell you the exact name of it.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:07 PM
  • I have the internalURL set in the topology. I found with the WAC server it was all about getting the certificates correct. I went round and round until I did it as follows:

A different FQDN for InternalURL and ExternalURL (ex: Internal = wac01.domain.local and External = wac01.domain.com). I then put an internal cert (from my CA) on the WAC server directly that had SAN's for the external URL, the internal URL AND the server FQDN (just to be thorough). Then I got a certificate from an external authority of just the externalURL to put on the Reverse Proxy (I'm using IIS ARR for that). That way I could publish that cert on the proxy but then redirect to the InternalURL (having a hosts file to find it). Hopefully that makes sense.

Steve

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:18 PM
  • I have internal and external url setup.  Server has a certificate with Internal name only.

TMG is configured with external certificate that has external name.

I rerun step 2 in Deployment wizard and nothing changed.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:42 PM
  • are you seeing an error in your Lync 3012 FE logs about the WAC server or do you see it connecting fine. If it is connecting to the WAC fine then I'm guessing it is a certificate issue elsewhere. I've seen where WAC will use the server name even though it isn't listed in the URL listing for the AppsFarm you set up. You need to track those communications from your FE to the WAC server and from outside through the Reverse Proxy to the WAC server and see what names are being used etc.

Steve

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:50 PM
  • I do not have any errors anywhere.

I run logging tool on IE and there are no errors.  There is nothing about WAC server.  It does not see that someone is trying to share. I think I said before that there is nothing in TMG logs about WAC when I use Lync Web App.

Please do not forget that everything works when I try to use Lync Client, this is completely confusing me. I can see requests coming to WAC server when I use Lync Client.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:54 PM
  • when you say you are running the logging tool on IE do you mean you are watching the actual network connections go by with the full web content (CSS and everything)? If so, you should clearly see your Web App contacting your WAC server if you have shared out a PowerPoint slide deck.

Steve

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:56 PM
  • In IE if you press F12, it will open debugging tool.  Click on Network and start capture.  It gives you lots of info.

Thank you. Eric.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:59 PM
  • Externally I do not see any connection to WAC url.  Neither internal nor external.

Thank you. Eric.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00 AM
  • ah yes, that would do it. Again, if you have shared out a PowerPoint from a user on a Lync 2013 FE pool then you should see your Lync Web App contact that server to get the slide deck. If it isn't doing that something is not being communicated correctly

Steve

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00 AM
  • I understand it.  Question is how to find the problem.  Externally Lync client works, but Lync Web App does not.  What is the difference between those two?

Thank you. Eric.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:02 AM
  • Did you get any errors when installing the plugin? 

I believe on a server os you need to modify some IE settings:

disable the Do not save encrypted pages to disk option:

1. In Windows Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
    2. On the Advanced tab, check whether the Do not save encrypted pages to disk option is enabled (it is enabled by default on server computers).
    3. Disable this option to successfully download and run the Lync Web App plug-in installer.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:24 AM
  • can you give me a quick synopsis of where you are right now? What works and doesn't work at this point. Does PowerPoint work internally on a full Lync Client? Externally on a full Lync Client?  etc. Just write up a list so we know what is working  and what is not working so I can try to think this through

Steve

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:19 PM
  • @Michael, all that in IE was done before.  I can use the same machine for meetings from another client.

@Scarr4:

I cannot use Lync Web App using IE 10 on Windows 2012 Server.  Lync Client works on that computer.

Yesterday I tried the same on Windows 7 and found that neither Lync Client nor Lync Web App work.

Everything works internally.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Sorry, I meant to say that PowerPoint, whiteboard, and poll do not work.  When presenter share desktop or program, it works.

If I try to share from external client, I do not have an option to share PowerPoint, whiteboard, or poll. Desktop or program only.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:28 PM
  • weird. When someone shares a whiteboard from an internal client, for example, what happens on the external client. Do you see the attempt at "presenting" or does nothing happen? The icons not being available totally seems like a permission thing somewhere

Steve

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:54 PM
  • We had the same problem with the options not being available.  After we created a new edge server, deleted our old one, and changed our URL of the FQDN under Office Web Apps Server in the topology.  We set it to the external URL.  The options were there.  I don't think the FQDN is what is important, the "Office Web Apps Server discover URL:" is what matters.  This is where we created a new URL and assigned it.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 5:10 PM
  • @scarr4.  I do not see any attempts to see the presentation. Nothing happens.

@SubNet.Zero.  I already recreated Office Web Apps server.  After that I removed it form Topology and added back.  What is Office Web Apps Server discover URL?  I know internal and external, but what is discover?  Am I missing something?

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:35 PM
  • I did not recreate the office web app server, I recreated my Lync Edge server and made the changes which is what made it work.  Maybe not the correct solution, but it's working.

In the topology builder --> Shared Components --> Office Web App Servers

Correct me if I'm wrong, that is the URL that clients use to access the OWA web service features.  If you enter that URL (https://name.domain.com/hosting/discovery) into the web browser you should receive XML that will tell you that something is working.  There is another URL to try specific to presenting, I don't remember off the top of my head.  I will look for it and post it here when I find it.  You already checked the /hosting/discovery URL towards the beginning of this thread.  In name.domain.com is the name the same as your server?  We originally had name as our servername.domain.com.  This caused some more problems so we made name something generic.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Now I understand.

There are internal url and external url. Both urls work if I do https://name.domain.com/hosting/discovery. Internal url works when I am in the office, external url works when I am outside of the office.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:28 PM
  • In Topology I have servername.domain.local.  This is my internal url.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:31 PM
  • so, to verify, does the server name you specify in the Lync topology match what you put on the WAC InternalURL?
    Friday, July 26, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Yes, it is the same.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:41 PM
  • and you just have the Global Conferencing Policy you listed above, correct. The fact that those options don't show up at all and there are no errors leads me to believe there is a setting restricting it somewhere.

Steve

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Yes, I have Global Conferencing Policy setup.

Thank you. Eric.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Try setting it to your External URL.  See what that does.
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Recommend deploying the Lync Monitoring role and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) at least temporary, then look at the CDR/QOE of the conference.
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Try to set by-pass the proxy settings in the IE.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:35 AM
  • I setup Office Web Apps to use external url as Internal and External url of the OfficeWebApps.  I configured Certificate too.

It did not help.  The same issue.  External Lync client works, but Lync Web App client does not work.  I can share Desktop, but cannot share PowerPoint, WhiteBoard, or Poll.

When I try to share PowerPoint, WhiteBoard, or Poll, the IE screen would not even divide in half. It looks to me that it does not receive any sharing information.

Thank you. Eric.

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:53 PM
  • The CDR logs from the monitoring reports could be helpful. Spin up a temporary SQL server with SQL Server Reporting Services, configure the Monitoring Service and deploy the reports.
    Monday, July 29, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Unfortunately, I do not have a full access to that network and build another server is not an option for me.

Thank you. Eric.

Monday, July 29, 2013 11:18 PM
  • I wish I had another idea to try. The only thing I can think of is to setup Fiddler2 or another web proxy and run everything through it to see if anything pops out at you. There is a good how for this here

http://www.lynclog.com/2013/06/configure-fiddler-for-lync-mobile-sign.html

Other than that I'm stumped

Steve

Monday, July 29, 2013 11:22 PM
  • I setup Office Web Apps to use external url as Internal and External url of the OfficeWebApps.  I configured Certificate too.

It did not help.  The same issue.  External Lync client works, but Lync Web App client does not work.  I can share Desktop, but cannot share PowerPoint, WhiteBoard, or Poll.

When I try to share PowerPoint, WhiteBoard, or Poll, the IE screen would not even divide in half. It looks to me that it does not receive any sharing information.

Thank you. Eric.

Did you update associated DNS entries (internal and external)?  Is the external URL in the SAN of the certificate?  It can be any cert as long as the URL you specified it in the SAN entry of the cert. 

After changing the topology like this you should rerun the setup and reboot the FE server.  The powershell command: Enable-CSTopology

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Yes, it is all done.  Lync client works and Lync Web App does not.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:05 PM
  • I left out a part on my previous post, to clarify, you updated everything (DNS, verified the SAN of the public cert) after you made the change in the topology?  All entries are associated with the External URL for OWA server.  Did you run Enable-CSTopology on the FE server and reboot?

If the previous are true, on the OWA server, try setting the internal and external URL to the external URL.  So they are both https://name.domain.com

Make sure that port 5087 for external communication is allowed to the OWA server and port 5086 for internal.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:15 PM
  • I don't believe the issue is with OWAS as the discovery url testing has no issue and able to use the Lync client externally. Everything is pointing to the Reverse Proxy and Lync External Web Services on the Front End (Whiteboard, Polling...). Are you seeing any errors in the event logs of the Front End? Have you tried applying the latest CU again to the Front End?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:26 PM
  • I updated DNS, verified the SAN of the cert.  I removed this server from topology, added it back and published topology.

I agree that the issue is not with OWAS because it works internally and it works with Lync Client externally, but I am not sure what else is there.

I do not see any errors anywhere: FE, OWAS, TMG servers do not show me any problems.  As I said before, it looks that the Lync Web App client does not receive any information about sharing.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Maybe to narrow down where the problem exists do you have the ability to port forward these services temporarily bypassing the reverse proxy?  This will tell where the problem exists; if it is a configuration with the reverse proxy or if you have something elsewhere. 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:04 PM
  • When you say port forward, do you mean setup this server to go to the Internet without Reverse Proxy server?  Unfortunately, I cannot do it. This will require for me to setup another public IP address and this client does not have any more public IP addresses at this time.

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:08 PM
  • OWAS uses port 5087 externally.

If possible in the environment, the way to accomplish this is you can use the current IP address you have associated with it and specify port 5087 to forward the traffic to the OWAS server.  This may not be the best explanation.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Where did you see that 5087 port?  I am looking at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219435.aspx and it says that the server uses ports 80, 443, or 809. 

Firewall requirements for Office Web Apps Server

Customers often report problems caused by firewalls that are blocking communication between the web browser, the servers that run Office Web Apps Server, and the servers that run SharePoint 2013. Blocked communication can be especially problematic when these different components are in different parts of a network.

Ensure that the following ports are not blocked by firewalls on either the server that runs Office Web Apps Server or the load balancer:

• Port 443 for HTTPS traffic

• Port 80 for HTTP traffic

• Port 809 for private traffic between the servers that run Office Web Apps Server (if you’re setting up a multi-server farm)

Thank you. Eric.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Yes, good question.  I guess I have spent too much time with Lync...

If they are out of IP addresses, I am not sure how to take the reverse proxy out of the picture.

On to other options.  It is very strange that none of the systems have anything in the logs referencing this or the web app having any messages.  Even a "I'm not going to display this presentation" would work.  Have another look at your Reverse Proxy and Lync External Web services like Michael LaMontagne mentioned.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Please see this post for exact same issue.  Case is open with PSS and will advise when resolved. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/39ac7083-cf21-4fb7-9919-2087bb4409c2/lync-web-app-unable-to-present-anything-or-receive-any-presentation-from-external-network

Dino Caputo, BA | MCSE | MCTS:OCS/Lync http://www.ucguys.com http://www.enableUC.com

Friday, August 09, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Hello, Did you solve this issue? Logged a case for this? I’m experiencing exact the same problem, and all my Lync servers are CU4. It seems not a standard thing that will go away with updates… Maybe you can point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:27 PM