none
Bulk Insert Task Cannot bulk load because the file could not be opened.operating system error error code 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)

Question

• Following error i am getting after i chnaged the Path in Config File from

\\vs01\d$\\Deployment\Files\temp.txt

to

C:\Deployment\Files\temp.txt

[Bulk Insert Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Cannot bulk load because the file "C:\Deployment\Files\temp.txt" could not be opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).". 
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:04 PM

All replies

• How are you running the package?

If you are running as SQL Server job - the account under which SQL Agent is running should have access to the file.

Mukti
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Even Thaugh i run from the BI studio it is not taking that file 
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:06 PM
  • That means you have moved the file temp.txt from \\vs01\d$\\Deployment\Files to your local c: i.e. C:\Deployment\Files.
    This would be stupid thing to ask but are you sure the file is there? Can you open the file manually from you c: drive?

HTH

Mukti
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Yes I can Open file I checked the path so many times tried different thing but it didnt work 
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I think i know whats going on. The Bulk Insert task runs by executing sql command (bulk insert) internally from the target sql server to load the file. This means that the SQL Server Agent of the target sql server should have permissions on the file you trying to load. This also means that you need to use UNC path instead to specify the file path (if the target server in on different machine)

Also from BOL (see section Usage Considerations - last bullet point)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141239.aspx

* Only members of the sysadmin fixed server role can run a package that contains a Bulk Insert task.

Make sure you take care of this as well.

HTH
    ~Mukti

Mukti
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Friday, June 19, 2009 9:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SGK1222 Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Following error i am getting after i chnaged the Path in Config File from

\\vs01\d$\\Deployment\Files\temp.txt

to

C:\Deployment\Files\temp.txt

[Bulk Insert Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Cannot bulk load because the file "C:\Deployment\Files\temp.txt" could not be opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).". 

• Proposed as answer by Import Data Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:29 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:06 PM
  • the file has to be on the SQL Server itself
    Friday, July 19, 2013 10:51 PM