none
MDT 2012 & Lenovo T410 and T420 models

Question

• Hello,

I'm still a newbie when it comes to using MDT, but am trying to set up imaging for our Lenovo laptop models.  I created an x86 image that works just fine on our T400 models, but I can't get the T410 or T420 models to work.  I receive the error: A connection to the deployment share (servername\MDTProduction$) could not be made.  The following networking device did not have a driver installed.  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_21CE17AA&REV_04.  Then you get retry or cancel. 

I realize this is an issue with installing the ethernet driver and checked, both the T420 and T410 use the same driver for the ethernet port and the T400 uses a different one, which obviously explains why I'm having issues with both of the other models.  I downloaded the original driver from Lenovo's website and when that failed, I downloaded one from Intel's site for the models.  After injecting the drivers and updating the deployment share, it still failed.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

Susan Mertesdorf

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:51 PM

Answers

• Yes I did use folders.  I actually took the SWTOOLS folder right off the OEM build of the laptop and used it.  Did you try checking the box that says Import drivers even if they are duplicates of an existing driver?  You might give that a try if not.

Wade Preston

• Marked as answer by Mertz74 Friday, June 08, 2012 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:22 PM
  • As an interesting side note...I took the x86 Iso and burned it to a disk and started the computer off that.  Now I can get the image to work on the T420.  But it doesn't work booting from network.  Ideas?

Susan Mertesdorf

Hi,

Did you definitely update WDS with your newly created/working boot WIM?

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:08 PM

All replies

• Do you have the proper driver loaded for the NIC?  I believe it is the  Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection.

Wade Preston

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Hi Wade, thanks for asking.  Yes, I have.  Just to be on the safe side, I redownloaded it, removed the old drivers, injected these drivers, updated the deployment share only to receive the same error.  So while I should have the right drivers, they don't seem to be working.

Susan Mertesdorf

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Just for confirmation and my peace of mind, I manually installed Windows 7 Enterprise and manually installed the same driver that MDT can't seem to load properly and it works.  It is the Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection.  Ideas anybody?

Susan Mertesdorf

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Did you get the drivers from Intel or Lenovo?  We have T420 and T410 and I loaded the drivers from the Lenovo website and they work perfectly fine.  How are you injecting them?  I loaded mine by going to "Out-of-Box Drivers" right clicking and then selecting Import Drivers.  Then I browsed to the folder that held the drivers and then clicked next and then next again.  Once it imported all my drivers then I hit finish.  After that everything worked great for me.

Wade Preston

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I've actually tried from both Lenovo's website and from Intel's when the Lenovo driver failed.  Did you use folders when injecting drivers into Out-of-Box Drivers?  Otherwise I followed the same process and it worked fine for the T400 model.

thanks!

Susan Mertesdorf

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Yes I did use folders.  I actually took the SWTOOLS folder right off the OEM build of the laptop and used it.  Did you try checking the box that says Import drivers even if they are duplicates of an existing driver?  You might give that a try if not.

Wade Preston

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:22 PM
  • I'm out the next couple of days for work, but will definitely try taking that SWTOOLS folder and giving that a try.  I'll get back to you with the results then.

thanks!

Susan Mertesdorf

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Ok, tried that, took the SWTOOLS folder, updated the Deployment Share and no such luck.  I'm still getting the "Connection to deployment share could not be made" error.  It still isn't loading the ethernet driver...very frustrating.  Any more ideas anyone?

Susan Mertesdorf

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:01 PM
  • I think you have another issue. I have build T4XX with no issues and with no drivers added for the first build. I used MDT 2010, have not tested with 2012.

Can you try to connect with vm? or any other hardware?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:26 PM
  • The t400s work fine, which is why I thought it was limited to the driver with the T410/T420 models.  I'll try a VM and see if I can get anywhere.  I did update the system to MDT 2012, but the problem remains.

Susan Mertesdorf

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:28 PM
  • VMs work fine...no problems.  Still can't get the 410 or 420 drivers to work even though I can manually load the same driver into a Window Enterprise manual install and they work fine.  Help?

Susan Mertesdorf

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:12 PM
  • As an interesting side note...I took the x86 Iso and burned it to a disk and started the computer off that.  Now I can get the image to work on the T420.  But it doesn't work booting from network.  Ideas?

Susan Mertesdorf

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:40 PM

Susan Mertesdorf

Hi,

Did you definitely update WDS with your newly created/working boot WIM?

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:08 PM
  • That seemed to do it!  Many thanks to everyone for their help.  I seemed to have a mix of problems from the driver not being part of the WinPE image to not updating WDS properly.

Susan Mertesdorf

Friday, June 08, 2012 3:03 PM