none
Installing BizTalk Server 2010 on Windows 7

Question

• I am getting following error message while installing BizTalk Server 2010 Developer Edition on my Windows 7 environment.

"Error 1921.Service Windows Management Instrumentation (WinMgmt) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services."

I tried to stop Window Management Instrumentation service, it doesn't; even my user is part of Administration group of my machine.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Steef,

Yes, issue is resolved. Let me explain step by step what I did to resolve the issue:

1. I uninstalled VMWare from my VM (Virtual Machine) on which I was installing BizTalk Server 2010.

2. Accessed my VM through RDC.

3. Installed BizTalk Server 2010 and BizTalk Adapters.

4. Verified Installation by creating and deploying a test application in BizTalk Server 2010.

5. Installed VMWare again (so that I may aceess my VM using VMWare instead of RDC).

The root cause of uninstalling VMWare before BizTalk Server 2010 installation is: the BizTalk Server 2010 tries to stop WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) service and fails to stop it because 2 VMWare services are dependent on WMI and it could not stop these 2 services (as you are accessing your VM using these VMWare services).

Hope it will help others.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:23 AM

All replies

• Please see this thread for similar issue  on Win Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/biztalkgeneral/thread/656be390-b632-4f9b-94e9-f5d5846842e6

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

it could be anti-virus related as discussed in thread by Rohit. I would suggest to setup a virtual BizTalk environment using VMWare, or Oracle VirtualBox. This way you can seperate your development environment from your OS and if anything goes wrong you can redo your VM.

Thanks to Ben Cline blogging about there is even a VM you can download inlcuding training kit!

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I tried by killing SMS Agent Host and disabling anti virus on my machine but still same issue.

I am already doing all installtions on my virtual machine by accessing it through VMWare.

Any other suggestion?

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just for verification, you are installing BizTalk on your VM with local admin rights? For reference see BizTalk installation guides.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Open the Services console and right click Windows Management Instrumentation and open its properties go to Dependencies tab and check the services depending on it you might be having some issue with any of those services. Please also try to restart the Windows Management Instrumentation manually from Services console.

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Try opening a command prompt with Administrator rights (right click, "Run as Administrator") and run the installer again.
    Regards, Saravana Kumar [MVP BizTalk Server] http://blogs.digitaldeposit.net/saravana/ http://www.biztalk247.com/
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:34 AM
  • This is interesting... I was installing BizTalk Server 2010 on a Virtual Machine (VM) having Windows 7 Professional environment using VMWare to access my VM. When I try to stop WMI service, it shows VMWare services in depenent services of WMI that's why it doesn't even stopped forefully. That's why the BizTalk installer also failed to stop it.

To double check that this is the issue with VM; I installed BizTalk Server 2010 on a separate physical machine having same Windows 7 Professional environment and it is installed successfully.

To conclude, I would say this is the issue with installing BizTalk Server 2010 on VM in Windows 7 Environment. The BizTalk 2010 installation guide for Windows 7 claims that you can install it on VM but actually it doesn't work. This might be some issue with our network configuration but the problem persists in my scenario.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Finally, the issue was with VMWare... I uninstalled VMWare from my virtual machine and then access it with MS RDC to install BizTalk Server 2010 and it was installed without any problem. I then installed BizTalk adapters as well. Later on, I installed VMWare back to my VM to bring it on same position.
    Friday, June 03, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi Muhammad,

Is your issue resolved now ? I cannot conclude from your last sentence "Later on, I installed VMWare back to my VM to bring it on same position." that is so. Issue was not related to anything that has been posted here. If not than you could share what issue was so others can benefit from it.

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers

BizTalk
    Monday, June 06, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi Steef,

Yes, issue is resolved. Let me explain step by step what I did to resolve the issue:

1. I uninstalled VMWare from my VM (Virtual Machine) on which I was installing BizTalk Server 2010.

2. Accessed my VM through RDC.

3. Installed BizTalk Server 2010 and BizTalk Adapters.

4. Verified Installation by creating and deploying a test application in BizTalk Server 2010.

5. Installed VMWare again (so that I may aceess my VM using VMWare instead of RDC).

The root cause of uninstalling VMWare before BizTalk Server 2010 installation is: the BizTalk Server 2010 tries to stop WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) service and fails to stop it because 2 VMWare services are dependent on WMI and it could not stop these 2 services (as you are accessing your VM using these VMWare services).

Hope it will help others.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi   Muhammad,

Iam beginner to Biz talk,planning to learn ....as a part of this do i need to install VM with windows 7 professional first then RDC to install Biz talk server 2010. please guide me in this regard.

Regards,

Rk.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:52 AM
  • I tried the VM (This was a VM that I was working on) way and it wasn't fun.  What I ended up doing was pretty simple and worked for me.

1) Disable WMI service

2) Reboot box (Let dependent programs/services fail)

3) Set WMI service to automatic without starting it.

4) Start BizTalk installer.  The BizTalk installer started/restarted the service prior to anything else attaching to it; it installed with no issues.

4) Reboot.

Hope this works for you all as well :)

Monday, July 09, 2012 10:54 PM