none
Upload a master page in Sharepoint site

Question

• How i can upload a change in custom.master page on sharepoint site. This page is under Site Action -> Site Setting-> under Galleries (Master pages and page layouts) . But no option, how to upload this changed master page.

raj

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

One way to upload the custom master page is to create the feature receiver as shown in the following article.

http://chayadigital.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/apply-custom-master-pages-in-sharepoint-2010/

Other way is to download the template from the codeplex and modify the template and upload to the gallery as mentioned in the below article

http://chayadigital.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/apply-custom-master-pages-in-sharepoint-2010/

To do so, the publishing features need to be enabled at the site collection level and site level.

• SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature (site collection level)
    • SharePoint Server Publishing feature (site level)

**Please mark as answered and helpful

Please download and review My Recent Gallery Upload
    PowerShell Script for Creating Site Collection with Host Headers

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Ways to upload a master page is

1)Create a module in visual studio add master page into the module,set the module elemet.xml property to load the fiels to catologue folder

2)open the sharepoint site in designer ,go to the catalogue folder .You ll be able to find all the master pages there.You can edit them.but best practise is to copy and paste the default master page edit the same and later set the new master page as default by setting the file property by right clicking it.

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Hello, 

Master pages are not managed with the SharePoint browser interface. You need SharePoint Designer for that. The only thing you can do in the browser interface that cannot be done in SharePoint Designer is to approve a master page after it has been customized.

You can use SharePoint Designer to manage all aspects of a master page, i.e. creating a custom master page, changing a master page, checking it in and out, etc. You can also upload a master page when you open the Master Page location in SharePoint Designer. 

Once the custom master page has been uploaded (or edited and saved) you need to check it in with SharePoint Designer. Then you will get a prompt to open the browser to approve the master page (if approval is required, which normally is the case).

cheers, teylyn
    www.teylyn.com

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:58 AM
  • HI Raj,

Enable these features then you will get master page options

site actions-->site settings -->site collection administration-->site collection features

find this feature and enable it [SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature (site collection level)]

site action--> manage site features

find this feature and enable it  [SharePoint Server Publishing feature (site level)]

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:45 AM
  • At the risk of adding the obvious, changes made in SPD need to be checked in and the approved before they can be seen. The other guys replying in this page have already explained how to activate the master page options.

Please let us know if ypou need to know anymore information.

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:04 AM
    Answerer
  • The Publishing feature enables the activation of a specific master page through the browser interface. It does not provide any functionality to upload a master page, as specified in the question. 

cheers, teylyn
    www.teylyn.com

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Steven, Did you read my suggestion above? I already explained that the master page must be checked in and approved. :-)

cheers, teylyn
    www.teylyn.com

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hi

When i uploaded master page, my site was blocked, show me an error. How i can rectifiy

raj

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:08 PM
  • You really need to provide more information. How did you upload the master page? How did you activate it? What is the error message? Are you sure the master page contains valid markup?

cheers, teylyn
    www.teylyn.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:13 AM