none
Retaining Navigation Links for Dashboard Pages

Question

• Had same issue in SharePoint 2007 with setting up and trying to keep manual links in the site navigation in SharePoint.  The issue is that after a dashboard is redeployed to a SharePoint document library any navigation links that have been defined in the SharePoint Current Navigation section for the site will disappear.  Now in SharePoint 2007 I was able to do some adjusting of the Document Library settings and once I switched to major and minor version file settings the links that I created would stay in place.

Now in SharePoint 2010 this is not working.  I have tried numerous combinations, redeployments of the dashboard pages from Dashboard Designer, creating SharePoint navigation links to the aspx pages, and adjusting the document version settings, but nothing seems to stick.  The funny thing is that when I redeploy the dashboard I will initially see the link in the quick launch, but as soon as I refresh it goes bye bye.  I check the version numbers in the library for the file and they never increment either, it is always the same version number depending on what setting I have, either 1.0 or .1, unlike in the content library where the version numbering is working appropriately.

So what is the magic to getting the navigation links to retain in SharePoint 2010? I want to be able to have the navigation links to the pages in SharePoint and I would like to be able to configure and arrange them.  Is this not possible?  I can't be the only one experiencing this navigation pain.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hello Dan,

I have followed up with our Product Group and here is what I found out.

As of right now, there is no good solution out of the box.  It is being looked into.

Regarding versioning . . . you can keep versions of dashboard definitions (ddwx files), and customers should be able to restore those to prior versions. But each time you deploy, the deploy process overwrites the aspx file in the doc lib. To get to a previous version of the dashboard, restore a prior version of the dashboard definition, and then deploy that as a new aspx file.

As far as navigation goes . . . There is a blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2010/04/28/modifying-pps-dashboards-with-sharepoint-web-parts.aspx) that talks about this issue. There’s no good solution out-of-the-box, but there is a workaround.

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:15 PM

All replies

• Seems like it could possibly be related to the automatic folder setup that Dashboard Designer creates.  This seems to be killing the navigation links upon redeployment and possibly messing up the automatic version generation.  If I move the aspx page to the root of the Dashboards Library, base the link off that, redeploy the dashboard, copy aspx file up to root again (new version gets generated with .2), my links stay in place.

So what gives with the Dashboard Designer deployment? Is this a bug and why did it work in 2007? Why is the versioning not working in the Dashboards Library with the deployment to SharePoint option?

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Can anyone from MSFT comment on why versioning does not work for dashboard pages that get deployed?  Why does it wipe out the existence of the page instead of preserving the versioning that is configured on the library like it does with the content?  Can this be fixed?
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan EnglishMVP Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:26 PM changed MS to MSFT
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hello Dan,

I have followed up with our Product Group and here is what I found out.

As of right now, there is no good solution out of the box.  It is being looked into.

Regarding versioning . . . you can keep versions of dashboard definitions (ddwx files), and customers should be able to restore those to prior versions. But each time you deploy, the deploy process overwrites the aspx file in the doc lib. To get to a previous version of the dashboard, restore a prior version of the dashboard definition, and then deploy that as a new aspx file.

As far as navigation goes . . . There is a blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2010/04/28/modifying-pps-dashboards-with-sharepoint-web-parts.aspx) that talks about this issue. There’s no good solution out-of-the-box, but there is a workaround.

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:15 PM
  • The versioning issue really needs to be resolved, that just seems really awful to me that the aspx pages are not versioned.  This just kills setting up navigation links to these pages upon a redeployment. 

It just doesn't make sense that you should have to create a custom SharePoint page to reconfigure the page setup if you have already done this in Dashboard Designer.  Doing it in SharePoint is just clunky and takes more time.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Dan, I couldn't agree with you more regarding the versioning issue.  We are experiencing the same problem, and think it's a non-value add activity to have to redo the link each time a new version of a dashboard is published.

Thanks for bringing this issue forward.  We were searching for potential solutions that someone may have found. 

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:58 PM
  • It seems like the only option current available besides recreating the dashboard page in SharePoint is to make a copy of your aspx file.  Then with the copy of the aspx file you will name that something different and reference that file in your site navigation.  That way when you redeploy you won't lose your link by wiping out your aspx file.  You will have to copy it over each time though for the navigation link to reflect the changes.  In order to perform the copy simply use the SharePoint Designer tool and perform the copy paste through that.

I was hoping that one of the new features in SP1 that places the deleted dashboard page in the recycle bin would have resolved the deletion of the site navigation links, but it did not.

Mark Stacey provided me the tip of using the copy/paste/rename method.  Not bad, but still it should be easier.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Hi Dan, can you explian in detail that how can I copy and paste my aspx page to retain the links. I am fairly new to SharePoint and need to solve this issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:18 PM
  • One way to do it may be to browse to the Dashboard library, open in Windows Explorer, then copy-paste the ASPX file.  Another would be to open the dashboard in Sharepoint Designer and then Save as.  Then you use this file in a navigation link. 

Any changes to the file would require the same above process, but instead of creating a new file you overwrite the existing one.  If I understand above correctly, this stops nav links from disappearing.

A response redirect file or custom workflow might work too...

Dan, did you try the content deployment tool?  Probably has same impact but might be worth a shot.

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ppscd/

cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Sears, T4G Limited, http://www.performancepointing.com

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:41 PM