none
KB2870699 cum sec update for IE9 Windows 7 - breaks coded ui tests?

Question

• After installing the above referenced important update my previously working coded ui tests are unable to find controls in IE9 and all tests fail.  Rolling back the update resolves the issue.

Has anybody else encountered such problems or know what the issue might be?

Thank you

Josh

Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:35 PM

Answers

• The msdn blog recommends removing the update as a workaround. According to them, a patch is on the way:

1. If you have VS2013 Preview – this issue is already fixed and you will not hit any issues.
    2. If you have VS2012 Update 3 or below - There is no fix available at the moment, the next VS Update would have a fix for the same, in the meantime, you may want to consider the workaround mentioned below.
    3. If you have VS2010 SP1– There is no fix available at the moment, we are working on getting a patch out at the earliest. In the meantime to unblock yourselves, you may want to consider the workaround mentioned below.

( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/09/17/coded-ui-mtm-issues-on-internet-explorer-with-kb2870699.aspx )

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there was an update in august that addressed pageX and pageY exploits on the beforeunload event handler... If your testing scripts were emulating closing a tab/window with the [X] buttons they will no longer work in IE or any other browsers...

Sorry, there is no workaround. You should avoid using pageX/pageY co-ordinate sniffing in the beforeunload event handlers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

I have experienced the same problem, and I'm pretty sure that this is not related to the "pageX/pageY co-ordinate sniffing" you mentioned. The update breaks all of my the previously working tests, but also the action recording of the test builder. I haven't done anything fancy in these tests: even simple recorded actions (such as clicking on a hyperlink) aren't working anymore after the update.

Here's what happens when I run a test (log into a site, and click on a hyperlink after):

• IE opens up, loads the login page of the site
    • The test finds and uses some controls (login edit, password edit, login link)
    • The IE navigates to the inner page of the site. It tries to click on a hyperlink and fails with FailedToPerformActionOnHiddenControlException.

And here's what happens when I try to record these actions using the action recorder:

• Start the recording
    • Click on IE, type the address of the site, hit enter
    • Site loads, fill in login form, click on the login link. -> Every action is recorded properly until this point
    • Click on a link on the inner page -> instead of recording the action, the following message is shown: /!\ "The following element is no longer available: IE web control; Process Id [5256], window handle [133182]"

I couldn't find a solution other then removing the update. Microsoft should look further into this as it seems to be serious issue - for us coded ui testers at least.

Regards,
    Soma

Friday, September 13, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Thanks for posting guys.  We are experiencing the same issue as SOMA posted.  Saved me a ton of time.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 8:05 PM
  • We are facing the same issue with IE 10 (Windows 7). Some one recommended to upgrade to VS 2012 Update 4 but that is also not fixing the issue.

This is a blocking issue. Please fix and release a quick hot fix.

Cheers KSR

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:10 PM
  • The msdn blog recommends removing the update as a workaround. According to them, a patch is on the way:

1. If you have VS2013 Preview – this issue is already fixed and you will not hit any issues.
    2. If you have VS2012 Update 3 or below - There is no fix available at the moment, the next VS Update would have a fix for the same, in the meantime, you may want to consider the workaround mentioned below.
    3. If you have VS2010 SP1– There is no fix available at the moment, we are working on getting a patch out at the earliest. In the meantime to unblock yourselves, you may want to consider the workaround mentioned below.

( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/09/17/coded-ui-mtm-issues-on-internet-explorer-with-kb2870699.aspx )

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:28 PM
  • The easiest solution for this issue:

1. Uninstall the current IE.

2. Download IE package (I tested with IE 9.0)

3. Unplug network cable

4. Install IE --> KB2870699 patch will be not auto updated together.

And now you can enjoy watching your automation running :)

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

I am the Program Manager for Coded UI test in Visual Studio. We are aware of this issue and working on addressing it.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

I am the Program Manager for Coded UI test in Visual Studio. We are aware of this issue and working on addressing it.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hello Duy,

Thanks for the workaround. due to this issue I can't run any of my coded ui test.

As per your steps- I downloaded the IE 10 setup but this is a application file and when I try to run it with no internet connection it'll fail. How can I download IE   set exe file?

Thanks

Basant

Friday, October 04, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Dear Prachi,

Pleeeeeeeeeeease issue the fix asap. Our company has very strict group policy to install all KB automatically, so your workaround is not suitable for us. The KB will be checked and installed everyday. We have stopped all Coded UI related project and seeking other tools for testing. 

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Please Please Please for the love of god! can you fix this!!

Our entire test pack is on hold due to this poor release by MS.

As a company we have invested a vast amount of time building a test suite and framework using Coded UI only for MS to trash it in a security release. Its not a case of removing KB's for a workaround, This sort of item needs to be strongly tested before releasing into the wild.

We could have used Selenium!

Thanks

Unhappy developer

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I also wasn't able to turn the update off, and had the same problem with the updater checking and installing it every time I rebooted.

So the exact workaround I found with the help of my local IT was:

1, Make sure, that the update is installed.

2, Export all registry keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\*KB2870699*

3, Uninstall the KB2870699 update. (restart computer)

4, Import the keys of the 2nd step.

5, Delete all registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ApplicabilityEvaluationCache\*KB2870699*

This way the update won't be installed, but the update service will think it is.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Try another way:
    1. Open IE About, note the last update patch (KBxxx)
    2. Go to Control Panel
    3. Go to Windows Update
    4. Click "View Update History" link
    5. Click "Installed Updates" link
    6. Search the last update patch and uninstall it
    7. Restart your PC
    8. Try to run automation. If the issue exist, try to do step 1-8 until it is resolved

I can run automation after only 1 routine. Don't forget to turn off Windows Update (or set to update manually)

• Edited by Duy.Le Dinh Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:23 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:21 AM