none
Webmail/ActiveSync not always available

Question

• Hi All

We have Exch 2003 Sp2 Ent

We have Webmail issues where sometimes people can connect to webmail and activesync and other times they cannot. When opening Performance and adding the Current Users counter under Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync the graph runs at 100% almost permanently. What does that mean? Is there a limit which Exchange 2003 has for ActiveSync connections? If so, what is the limit and can i increase/decrease it?

When the graph runs at 100% some connections might fail to access webmail via ActiveSync
    Can anyone help me to prevent this from happening where people cannot access Webmail please?

Webmail runs on the FE Server and we have about 10 Exchange Servers with mailboxes on

Thanks in advance

• Edited by CraMey Friday, October 04, 2013 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• ISTR that in IIS6, you can look at the properties of the Default Web Site in IIS Manager, and configure a maximum number of concurrent users. I can't remember what the default value is, but it's either empty, or contains a number so large you'd never expect to reach it.

OWA For SmartPhone
    www.leederbyshire.com

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thanks. I have checked and ours is on unlimited so i'm still wondering what the issue is from time to time why webmail is broken and people cannot use activesync to access webmail. on the ExchangeApplicationPool, I have set the option "Recycle worker processes" to 120min. Should that eliviate the issue by recycling the Application Pool every 2 hours? or do you have any ideas how I can get to the bottom of this?
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:13 AM
  • The default values normally work fine, and I wouldn't suggest changing anything just yet.

What do users see in the browser window when they can't log in? Any error messages?

Can you find anything recorded in the FE IIS log file the failed connections? That will at least tell you if the requests are actually hitting the server.

OWA For SmartPhone
    www.leederbyshire.com

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I have opened the Performance MMC and added ActiveSync Object and the Current users value is running at 100% most of the time. What does that mean? That current users has reached a limit? Now when ppl connect with their mobile devices it won't connect. If i look in the OWA log on the FE Server i do not see any entries for failed attempts. What is the locations of the other logs i can try and troll to have an idea of what is happening pls?
    Friday, October 04, 2013 9:11 AM
  • I think the IIS6 log files are in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 . Double-click one to open it in Notepad. But perhaps you've already seen these.  I think there was also a folder called HttpErr . These paths have all changed in IIS7, so I'm trying to remember where they used to be.

OWA For SmartPhone
    www.leederbyshire.com

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:25 AM
  • the w3SVC1 logs are the ones which I have looked through yes. I will search for the HttpErr folder and go through that logs. Thanks
    Friday, October 04, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Gaaaa, found them

These are the errors i find in them

2013-10-04 09:23:38 115.249.76.82 45502 <FE Server IP> 443 HTTP/1.1 RPC_IN_DATA /rpc/rpcproxy.dll?<ExchServerName>:6004 - 1 Timer_EntityBody ExchangeApplicationPool
    2013-10-04 09:23:43 115.249.76.82 46008 <FE Server IP>443 HTTP/1.1 RPC_IN_DATA /rpc/rpcproxy.dll??<ExchServerName>:6001 - 1 Timer_EntityBody ExchangeApplicationPool
    2013-10-04 09:23:51 41.208.50.201 48827 <FE Server IP>HTTP/1.1 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Ping&User=<domain.com>%5Cncoghlan&DeviceId=SAMSUNG1358848042747543&DeviceType=SAMSUNGGTI9100 - 1 Connection_Dropped ExchangeApplicationPool

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Lots of these also

2013-10-04 08:15:50 105.249.21.68 50948 <FE Server IP>443 HTTP/1.1 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=rabader&DeviceId=ApplDNWHFW9TDTD2&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Ping - 1 Connection_Dropped ExchangeApplicationPool
    2013-10-04 08:16:20 105.249.21.68 50972 <FE Server IP> 443 HTTP/1.1 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=rabader&DeviceId=ApplDNWHFW9TDTD2&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Ping - 1 Connection_Dropped ExchangeApplicationPool

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Not sure what all that means, but it's mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2469722

OWA For SmartPhone
    www.leederbyshire.com

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:38 AM
  • I see you have some iPhone clients - which iOS? There's a section in Lee's link about one iOS in particular.

I'm thinking (just thinking - don't know for a fact) that some other devices, even newer devices, might be causing the same problem.

Looks like there's a Samsung that cannot connect either - but maybe because of the overload caused by another type of device.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Have you checked C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR and the log files in that directory? You could simply be running out of space in the  paged/non-page memory pools.

When you look perfmon counters that count "things", check the scale on the graph. If it's 1::1 and you have 100 users it's going to show 100%. If you change the scale to 10::1 (0.1) the same number of users will show as only 10%.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, October 05, 2013 9:57 PM
  • I see you have some iPhone clients - which iOS? There's a section in Lee's link about one iOS in particular.

I'm thinking (just thinking - don't know for a fact) that some other devices, even newer devices, might be causing the same problem.

Looks like there's a Samsung that cannot connect either - but maybe because of the overload caused by another type of device.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

I read about the IOS devices yes - don't think we have IOS devices that old but wil make sure anyway.

think devices like the Samsung cannot connect due to the server being to busy. I'm try to find out why the server is running at 100% Current Users using ActiveSync

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Thanks Rich The log entries I posted earlier i got from the HTTPEER log directory. Are there any other entries you want me to search for? You are right, i changed the scale to 200 and I get a different picture so my question is then how do i get a true reflection of what is happening and why ActiveSync/Webmail connections fail from time to time?
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:58 AM
  • I get these errors in the HTTPErr logs

/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=&DeviceId=ApplDNTJT8NZDTWD&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Ping. It is all POST connections and not GET like the rest of the entries in the log file. It is also on port 443 instead of 80 like the rest of the connections.

In this thread, the second last post, they talk exactly about that issue but still no resolution.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/2f66d4f5-f65c-4d8f-b38b-003fd07f28f3/errors-with-iphone-and-activesync-msexchangesyncapppool-and-deadlock-in-exchange-2007?forum=exchangesvrmobilitylegacy

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Did you check the Non-Paged Pool? Windows 2003, especially with the /3GB switch, is notorious for problems in that area. PoolMon can help keep tabs on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=177415

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2469722/en-us

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/01/31/a-script-to-troubleshoot-issues-with-exchange-activesync.aspx

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:11 AM
  • I will check that today Rick. I haven't checked it before. I will use this link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=177415

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Although it's somewhat risky, you can decrease the sensitivity of IIS to low memory conditions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934878/en-us

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:41 PM