none
Agent Installation and Behavior of VMs

Question

• I have just recently installed SCVMM Agents on my Hyper-V Clusters. I have noticed following things which I would like to know more about and whether there is a workaround to that:

1.  When I look at the state of the virtual machines part of the cluster in Failover Cluster Manager, they appear to be normal and working, but when I look into the SCVMM Console, sometimes it shows as stopped and sometimes shows as Host Not Responding and sometimes depicts the correct state.  What could be causing that? SCVMM and Hyper-V Hosts are all on the same network.  Is there a way to fix this?

2.  Some of the machines that I was live migrating easily through Failover Cluster Manager are providing strange options when I am migrating them through SCVMM Console such as when I was moving one of the nodes that is using a shared VHDx and is part of the Guest Cluster, the wizard provided me with an option to store the VHDX on any of the CSVs available.  Why is it asking me so? Is it moving the Storage of the VM along with the Configuration as well?  I get the same option when I live migrate a machine that is part of a Guest Cluster that is using Fiber Adapter and has direct connectivity to the SAN.  Also, machines were highly available when in Failover Cluster Manager, but here both of these Guest Clusters are appearing as not Highly Available.  Why is it so?  How to rectify it.

3.  After the Agent Installation what are the basic configuration settings that must be done.  Any article/blog would be appreciated. 

I would love to know about these items.  Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 09, 2014 7:34 PM

All replies

• Did you add the cluster to SCVMM  or did you add individual cluster nodes to SCVMM?

I ask because SCVMM (historically) expects that if it is a cluster, you add the cluster namespace, then SCVMM enumerates the cluster and installs the agents.  If you added the nodes individually, SCVMM would not pick up that they are cluster nodes.  A net result of different behavior.

I did this long ago and had all kinds of strange things and was basically told - don't add the nodes, add the cluster.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, June 09, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I have added as a Cluster Brian not as individual hosts.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:35 AM
  • Just a gentle reminder.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:27 PM
  • I don't know if I can answer everything.

SCVMM has the assumption that when a machine is HA, it is stored on Shared Storage.  That equals CSV or SMB3 share (I believe).  And that means all of the components of the VM.  So SCVMM has to properly identify your shared storage.

Kristian has a little here: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com/2011/12/make-vm-highly-available-vmm-2012.html

I am hoping he wanders along as he might be able to give deeper details.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Is there a list of post-installation tasks for SCVMM such as installing hotfixes, rollup and updates for it and ensuring communication between different machines, etc.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:23 PM
  • gentle reminder.
    Sunday, June 15, 2014 4:45 PM