none
Relational Engine Services Purpose

Question

• I'm trying to map out a new SQL 2012 Powerpivot for SharePoint 2010 deployment and I'm confused about this option.  What benefit would checking the "Add SQL Server Database relational services engine Services to this installation" give me if I'm installing it on a SharePoint application server (Non SQL Database).
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

• What benefit would checking the "Add SQL Server Database relational services engine Services to this installation

None. If you are running sharepoint then you already have a relational database.

val it: unit=()

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:15 PM

All replies

• What benefit would checking the "Add SQL Server Database relational services engine Services to this installation

None. If you are running sharepoint then you already have a relational database.

val it: unit=()

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:15 PM
  • So would others suggest when installing PowerPivot for Sharepoint on an application server in an existing SharePoint 2010 farm, you should uncheck the option for "Add SQL Server Database relational services engine Services to this installation"? I am just wondering since I am having all kinds of trouble with this installation and wasn't sure if that option was necessary. This is the only place online I found this exact question being asked and talked about. I'd appreciate any quick feedback anyone has on this idea.

Here is what it say in the Microsoft instructions but I wasn't sure what this means when installing on an existing farm:

"Optionally, you can add an instance of the Database Engine to your installation. You might do this if you are setting up a new farm and need a database server to run the farm’s configuration and content databases. If you add the Database Engine, it will be installed as a PowerPivot named instance. Whenever you need to specify a connection to this instance (for example, in the farm configuration wizard if you are using that wizard to configure the farm), enter the database name in this format: <servername>\PowerPivot."

*they show an image with the box checked

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210708.aspx

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:02 AM
  • I left the box unchecked and was able to get this installation to work properly.  I think if you already have a SQL server dedicated to SharePoint services/databases then you don't need that box checked. 
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:53 PM