none
Volume Licensing version 2008 R2 SP2 set up

Question

• Bought a volume license for a client who's also getting a new Server 2008 R2. right now it's a standalone member server.

Downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 software from the Volume License Service Center as an ISO. Burned to a DVD and tried installing on the new server. There are 3 files on the DVD; x86, x64 & IA64 installation files.

Ran the x64 installer and it extracted the files to a temporary folder in the root directory and then set up the SQL Server Installation Center. Went to the installation center and attempted to do the installation. I get to the second step and it asks for the installation folder. The only SQL Server files I've found are in Program Files. No matter which folder I choose, I get an error saying this isn't a valid installation folder.

I've looked everywhere but cannot find an answer. All the questions in this forum do not answer this question. Now I am stumped.

How do I get 2008 R2 SP2 installed???

Friday, November 08, 2013 12:19 AM

Answers

• OK, I found my problem. Let's hope this answer helps someone else out who's not familiar with the open licensing download scheme.

My first download was of the SP2 patch only. You need to download the base product, then the patches as needed and install them.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please run setup.exe from the root of the DVD only.

You can also copy the ISO to a local disk drive, unzip it using WinRAR, and run setup from there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Saeid Hasani Friday, November 08, 2013 7:08 AM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 3:40 AM
  • OK, I found my problem. Let's hope this answer helps someone else out who's not familiar with the open licensing download scheme.

My first download was of the SP2 patch only. You need to download the base product, then the patches as needed and install them.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 2:10 AM