none
WinPE Command Prompt Issue Re-Appears In MDT 2012 (With DaRT Installed)

Question

• Hey everyone...

With MDT 2010, the annoying Command Prompt appeared to go away on the WinPE boots (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2009/06/30/mdt-2010-new-feature-8-no-more-visible-command-windows-when-booting-lite-touch-windows-pe.aspx)...  After installing a fresh MDT 2012 installation on a newly built box, and upgrading the MDT 2010 DS, the Command Prompt appears to pop up again.  Not only that; but once the WinPE portion of the build process has completed, the original command prompt window remains and you have to exit out manually to get it to reboot and continue.

I am leveraging the Advanced Configuration\Media feature and this is where I'm seeing this issue.  I checked the %MDT%\Templates folder and confirmed I had a winpeshl.ini file on board with the following contents:

[LaunchApps]
    %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\bddrun.exe,/bootstrap

Everything else seems to be running correctly, and the initial observations of MDT2012 are great!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-C

• Edited by C-GO Monday, April 30, 2012 8:02 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

• Strange.  I know that I'm doing a completely clean install to try to make it easier to manage/update...etc following Johan and Mikael's book.

I assume that you followed Michael's directions? (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2011/11/28/mdt-2012-new-feature-dart-integration.aspx)

I had the same popup and did a complete regenerate and it seemed to fix it for me.  I've even done a few after the initial one that fixed it (updates only) and it didn't return.

Try to delete your boot images and try again?

I initially followed Michael's instructions to the exact letter!  Your advice ended up sending me down the correct path to resolution, though!

Here's what I had to do...

(1) Deleted entire Media Root folder (Didn't touch the Distribution Share, just the Media).
    (2) Re-Generated the Media root from the Deployment Workbench ("Update Media Content")
    (3) Once the Media Root was re-generated, I needed to copy the Control\CustomSettings.ini and Control\Settings.xml files over manually (DS to Media Root) to retain my Task Sequence and WinPE Customizations
    (4) Deleted the Content\Deploy\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x64.wim file from the Media Root
    (5) Once again ran an "Update Media Content" to sync up data.

All is well!  No more Command Prompt!

Thanks to all that assisted with your advice!

-Cory

• Marked as answer by C-GO Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:05 PM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:05 PM

All replies

• I have not done much testing with 2012 yet. But I did notice that when I added the DaRT tools to the PE build I was seeing the command line stay up after Wpeinit.

I would imagine since it does not like to reboot with the command line open that it would also hang the deployment like you are seeing.

The issue was not present in my testing before I added the DaRT tools.cab to the PE.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:50 PM
  • That's great to know, since I have the DaRT tools (x64) on board as well!  I haven't tested the solution yet without the tools as they were pretty much the primary driver for going to MDT 2012 ASAP.

Anyone have any ideas how we can suppress this prompt?

Thanks!

-C

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Same issue with DaRT installed, when it's removed no prompt.

S

Friday, April 27, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Not trying to thread-jack, but did any of you receive this error with DaRT integrated?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/119a98e9-d358-4553-aa2e-f51be19c536f

Cory | Find me: Wordpress | Twitter: @stealthfield

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I had this exact same issue.  I did a complete regenerate on the boot images and it went away.

Try to do this and see if it fixes your problem.

Still not sure exactly how to use the Remote connection piece...but I at least have it installed!

• Proposed as answer by Graeme Bray Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by C-GO Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:49 PM
  • I had this exact same issue.  I did a complete regenerate on the boot images and it went away.

Try to do this and see if it fixes your problem.

Still not sure exactly how to use the Remote connection piece...but I at least have it installed!

Hi Graeme,

Unfortunately, I tried this several times...  Both at the Deployment Share level and at the Media level.  The same problem occurs each time.   Removing DaRT is the only thing that happens to remove the symptom!

Thanks!

-Cory

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Strange.  I know that I'm doing a completely clean install to try to make it easier to manage/update...etc following Johan and Mikael's book.

I assume that you followed Michael's directions? (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2011/11/28/mdt-2012-new-feature-dart-integration.aspx)

I had the same popup and did a complete regenerate and it seemed to fix it for me.  I've even done a few after the initial one that fixed it (updates only) and it didn't return.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:41 PM

I initially followed Michael's instructions to the exact letter!  Your advice ended up sending me down the correct path to resolution, though!

Here's what I had to do...

(1) Deleted entire Media Root folder (Didn't touch the Distribution Share, just the Media).
    (2) Re-Generated the Media root from the Deployment Workbench ("Update Media Content")
    (3) Once the Media Root was re-generated, I needed to copy the Control\CustomSettings.ini and Control\Settings.xml files over manually (DS to Media Root) to retain my Task Sequence and WinPE Customizations
    (4) Deleted the Content\Deploy\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x64.wim file from the Media Root
    (5) Once again ran an "Update Media Content" to sync up data.

All is well!  No more Command Prompt!

Thanks to all that assisted with your advice!

-Cory

• Marked as answer by C-GO Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:05 PM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Glad to see its working!  It'll be good to know this in case my Production or Capture share ends up having the same problem.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Deleting my wim and completely regenerating the boot media also resolved my hanging command prompt.

I had completely regenerated after the MDT2010U1 to MDT2012 upgrade but had not did a fresh regen after adding DaRT.

Monday, May 07, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Deleting my wim and completely regenerating the boot media also resolved my hanging command prompt.

I had completely regenerated after the MDT2010U1 to MDT2012 upgrade but had not did a fresh regen after adding DaRT.

I believe I did the same thing that is only did a refresh after adding DaRT. As mentioend above I chose to completly regenerate the boot images in my deployment workbench and then from my wds server i opted to replace image with the new one.  This solved my issue also.
    • Edited by twistedme Monday, May 14, 2012 9:58 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 9:57 PM
  • This worked for me as well. I had the same exact issue. I added the DaRT Cabs and I had to reboot manually out of PE. To resolve the issue I deleted the Boot Wims stored in the MDT in the Boot folder, and chose to have them completely regenerate. I then deleted the ones in WDS (Probably could have replaced but wanted to eliminate variables) and added the new ones. Issue resolved.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:51 PM
  • We have fixed this problem in MDT 2012 Update 1.  You would only run into this with MDT 2012 if you enabled DaRT after there was already a boot image present.

Thanks, -Michael Niehaus Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit mniehaus@microsoft.com http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:20 PM