none
SBS2011 Removing or Turning off Sharepoint and SBS Reporter

Question

• Hello, I've newly installed SBS2011 and right out of the box this seems to be a nightmare.

The business I set up this SBS server for literally has 8 people using the server. I fail to see how the reporting service is even useful in such a tiny environment. The SQL server process seems to be hooking over a GIGABYTE of ram for some reason, and it's hammering the disk with god knows what kind of goings on. Also Sharepoint constantly crabbing about an update that needs to be installed. I follow the instructions to the letter, and it fails at the very end because it can't write to a config file because of a permissions issue.

At this point I just want to shut these un-necessary services OFF.

I wish Microsoft would allow SBS server to be set up in an Al-la-carte fashion. Where you can pick what components at install time you wish to install. That would be magical. Instead the entire teetering kitchen sink is thrown in, and it's leaky right from the get go.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• In the early days it was "ala carte".   And it took forever to install
    But as with all Microsoft products these days, all installs are image based, so you can't all for that granularity during the install.

How much RAM in the server for these 8 people

All my customers get the daily report, wether they are 2 seats or 20 or 50.   Gives management the feedback that the server is in good shape.

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi Cris,

The server has 16GB of RAM in running on a Xeon 8 core processor. It was purchased two weeks ago from Dell. So the server has got plenty of oomph.

I can understand Exchange taking up 7 GB or so of ram, that's almost the size of the mailbox store.

I'm just a bit dismayed at how much resources this other stuff is taking up. I understand the need for feedback, but it seems a bit overkill for a tiny shop of eight people. Typically I visit this customer once every two months or so. In the past on every visit I'd look at the logs, make sure everything was in order and that was that. I just see all these services increasing the need for more administration which seems to be the exact opposite of what SBS is trying to accomplish.

• Edited by Chuck Steak Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:43 PM
  • By design SQL and Exchange will take and use any memory available on the system

Are they seeing performance issues?

Some of the MVPs have written articles on throttling SQL Memory in SBS 2008
    You should be able to apply to SBS 2011

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:50 PM
  • No, but I am. I find little value in Sharepoint and SBS reporting. I just want them off.

Is it at all possible?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:48 PM
  • you can go in and disable the sharepoint services and the SQL SSEE

What are the performance issues you're seeing or is your concern that system RAM is being consumed by these and it won't be available for other requirements?

I just went back and re-read your original post...is the issue with sharepoint regarding the PSCONFIG that needs to be run?  And it's failing?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Chuck,

in SBS 2011 you need to trim the SQL memory limits of SQL Express 2008 R2 (SharePoint) and SQL Embedded Edition (WSUS). Open the SQL Management studio as an administrator. Connect to each instance. Right mouse click on server and select memory. Set max memory to something small.

You can disable SharePoint by stopping the SHarePoint Web site in IIS. You can also close the SharePoint SQL instance service (set to disabled). You can uninstall SharePoint but don't recommend any of these. Best bet is simply trim the SQL memory.

As for the SharePoint update remember now with all SharePoint 2010 updates you need to run a command line psconfig per:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sowmyancs/archive/2010/09/12/apply-august-2010-cumulative-update-on-sharepoint-server-2010.aspx

That will apply the update.

Thanks

Robert Crane
    www.ciaops.com 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:15 AM
  • If you want to disable Sharepoint then you need to disable all its service's in service's console.Then connect to Sharepoint instence in SQL and dittach its database's.As far as the warning you are getting,I think that comes  after you have installed UR1 for SBS 2011:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958715

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:29 AM