none
Can I fix Geo Coding Alert of Japan's Country/State/City ?

Question

• Can I fix Geo Coding Alert of Japan's Country/State/City ?

4 geo coding alert on Japan's Capital City.
    Geo data is Country, State, City.
    4 Alert Capital City is Yamanasi/Kofu, Ibarak/Mito-shi, Chiba/Chiba-shi, Fukuoka/Fukuoka-shi.

4 geo-coding alert Capital city in Japan

Geo Map Level
    Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hello again, Yoshohiro,

I was able to reproduce the issue in English. I tried different permutations of the locations in Bing and in Power Map, and I always had a low confidence level in Power Map until I changed the data, taking "-shi" out of Mito, Chiba, and Fukuoka. I also had to mark the column with the Prefecture to "Province/State" on the Geography pane.  Alternatively, I was able to get rid of the warnings by leaving "-shi" in the city names, but adding a column for Japan.

As I mentioned, the confidence level is not important as long as the data is plotted correctly, and even when the confidence level is low on your data, it does seem to plot correctly. There is no way from within Power Map to change the results except in adding more geographical data or clarifying the data you have.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,
    Anita

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Konichiwa, Yoshihiro-san,

If you enter the same city data in Bing Maps in Internet Explorer, do you get an alert of any kind? The alerts generally mean that the data is ambiguous - there may be more than one city that fits the description. Something like in the United States, Athens can mean Athens, Texas, or Athens, Georgia. Your data looks like you gave it City, State, and Country, so I'm not at all sure why it would be confused.

Alerts may not mean much, if it plotted the data correctly. That dialog box is just an indication that confidence in the geocoding is correct. In this case, did it plot the cities correctly?

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:44 PM

All replies

• Any suggestions for Yoshihiro?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Konichiwa, Yoshihiro-san,

If you enter the same city data in Bing Maps in Internet Explorer, do you get an alert of any kind? The alerts generally mean that the data is ambiguous - there may be more than one city that fits the description. Something like in the United States, Athens can mean Athens, Texas, or Athens, Georgia. Your data looks like you gave it City, State, and Country, so I'm not at all sure why it would be confused.

Alerts may not mean much, if it plotted the data correctly. That dialog box is just an indication that confidence in the geocoding is correct. In this case, did it plot the cities correctly?

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Hello again, Yoshohiro,

I was able to reproduce the issue in English. I tried different permutations of the locations in Bing and in Power Map, and I always had a low confidence level in Power Map until I changed the data, taking "-shi" out of Mito, Chiba, and Fukuoka. I also had to mark the column with the Prefecture to "Province/State" on the Geography pane.  Alternatively, I was able to get rid of the warnings by leaving "-shi" in the city names, but adding a column for Japan.

As I mentioned, the confidence level is not important as long as the data is plotted correctly, and even when the confidence level is low on your data, it does seem to plot correctly. There is no way from within Power Map to change the results except in adding more geographical data or clarifying the data you have.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,
    Anita

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:11 PM