none
VAMT 3.1 and child domains problems

Question

• Hello,

Recently I have decided to upgrade from VAMT 2.1 to 3.1. on Server 2008 R2.

Previously with VAMT 2.1 everything worked fine. I have the correct DNS SRV record on all sub-domain DC's, and on the KMS server registry I have the DnsDomainPublishList populated with the child domains I need to have the workstations activated. So again with VAMT 2.1 it worked great.

However, since I have installed VAMT 3.1, I can't "Update License Status" on machines that are on a different domain than what the KMS server is on.

The error i receive is "Unable to connect to the WMI service on the remote machine.

If I use "Discover Products" by IP address of the respective machine on a child domain everything works fine. So this proves that something is clearly wrong with how VAMT 3.1 looks at the DnsDomainPublishList registry entry, or perhaps the registry entry should be changed to something else which has not been documented by Microsoft as of yet.

Note: VAMT 3.1 "Update License Status" works fine on machines which are on the same domain as the KMS server.

So my question is - What has changed in VAMT 3.1 DNS lookup for child domains to not work anymore?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:20 PM

All replies

• Sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean by "Leave discover enabled"?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Network Discovery is already turned on both the KMS server and workstation in addition windows firewall is turned off.

But again, this worked fine in VAMT 2.1 and stopped working in 3.1

Nothing else changed other than the new version of VAMT 3.1 being installed. I am also testing in a brand new testing environment and the same problem occurs.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Where are you going with this? What do the "Features" in 2008 R2 have anything to do with VAMT ? If i said I was using Server 2012 R2 then sure, that has a VAMT feature which can be installed.

Clearly were not on the same page here since I already clearly stated VAMT 2.1 could query machines across sub-domains just fine and VAMT 3.1 can't.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

From the following article, VAMT 3.0 or 3.1 did not update the way it connecting DNS. Thus we may still need to check if it is caused by different factor.

Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh824953.aspx

Please test to disable Windows Firewall on both server and target machine to see if it will help. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

From the following article, VAMT 3.0 or 3.1 did not update the way it connecting DNS. Thus we may still need to check if it is caused by different factor.

Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh824953.aspx

Please test to disable Windows Firewall on both server and target machine to see if it will help. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hello Shaon and thanks for the update.

I have already tried testing without any firewall between the server and client.

As stated earlier, if i manually enter the client's IP address in VAMT 3.1 and click on "Update License Status" then it works. However if I use the client's DNS name it fails.

Keep in mind this ONLY happens on sub-domain computers. Computers on the same local domain work fine with their DNS names and IP addresses.

This clearly has nothing to do with a firewall, but rather how VAMT 3.1 queries license status based on DNS names across sub-domains.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Are there any updates on the status of this issue?

Thanks

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:40 AM
  • I'm with Userx123... Also would like to know if there is an updated answer to this question.  I am in a school system with seven subdomains (don't ask, it was like this when I got here.)
    The machines (servers) on the top level communicate just fine with VAMT.
    "Unable to connect to WMI service on the remote machine" error on all subdomain machines. 
    The firewall is OFF on both the server I am running VAMT v 3 on and the clients on the subdomains.

I'm getting more support tickets everyday from users stating Windows 7 or Office 2010 needs to be activated.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Shaon,

What is the status with this issue? We cannot get our machines to activate properly across multiple sub-domains, and it's becoming irritating.

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Do you have a KMS server and/or a WSUS server?

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 x64 Professional
    LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer BDXL 128GB
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Vegan Fanatic,

Your responses are clearly useless. Please refrain from posting on this subject. I will be reporting your posts as abusive.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:11 AM
  • I'm with Userx123... Also would like to know if there is an updated answer to this question.  I am in a school system with seven subdomains (don't ask, it was like this when I got here.)
    "Unable to connect to WMI service on the remote machine" error on all subdomain machines. 
    The firewall is OFF on both the server I am running VAMT v 3 on and the clients on the subdomains.

I'm getting more support tickets everyday from users stating Windows 7 or Office 2010 needs to be activated.

BStacy,

I have solved this problem.

In the NIC's Advanced TCP/IP Settings click on "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" and type in all the domains/sub-domains starting with the root domain. After a reboot, querying hosts on sub-domains will work.

• Edited by Userx123 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:53 PM

BStacy,

I have solved this problem.

In the NIC's Advanced TCP/IP Settings click on "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" and type in all the domains/sub-domains starting with the root domain. After a reboot, querying hosts on sub-domains will work.

Awesome, thanks. It appears to have done the trick.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:04 PM