none
Unattend.xml. Answer file is invalid

    Question

  • Hi,

    I am deploying custom image and TS fails with an below error. IF I go to %Deployroot%\control\<TS ID> , I can see unattended.xml file but TS fails. Why is it looking for unattended.xml file C:|Windows\Panther when file is located at control\<TS ID>? Both x64 and x86 TS are failing with same error. I am running TS through linked deployment share and gets its content from parent Deployment share.

    Regards,

    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 9:15 PM

Answers

  • Check the Setupact.log file to see why it's failing. Normally it's an incorrect computer name, invalid product key, or incorrect settings for IE10. But again, the Setupact.log file will tell you why it failed.

    Make sure to find the latest Setupact.log, there will be multiple :)

    / Johan


    Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:12 PM

All replies

  • Can you open the Unattend.xml from Control\<TS ID> in WSIM and validate it?  Can you look at the logs in c:\windows\panther\unattendgc (setupact.log and setuperr.log)?

    David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:04 PM
  • I had a similar problem when I first started playing around with Windows 8 deployment.  I found this forum post which did the trick for me:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/c41a2b69-a591-4cd3-86ab-6a0f8a73b858

    Hope it helps you too!
    Mike

    Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:58 PM
  • anyone have solution regarding to this problem?

    manggar77

    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Check the Setupact.log file to see why it's failing. Normally it's an incorrect computer name, invalid product key, or incorrect settings for IE10. But again, the Setupact.log file will tell you why it failed.

    Make sure to find the latest Setupact.log, there will be multiple :)

    / Johan


    Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Johan, i noticed there's 2 problem from the log file (setuperr.log/setupact.log):

    1. computername

    in unattend.xml the computername entry is totally empty, this is why i didnot understand why the log keep saying that the value is invalid. either if i put * in computernamme entry, still got the same error.

    2. unattended file

    the file is verified within WSIM, and also keep telling it's an invalid file.

    All this problem happens if i trying to deploy on a virtual machine. MDT host restarted, deployment share updated, media is updated (with fresh rebuild) too. keep got that kind of problem.  appreciates if you could give some more advice


    manggar77

    Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Check the ZTIGather.log file to see what computer name (OSDComputerName) it tried to use, and then ZTIConfigure.log to see what value it tried to write into the unattend.xml

    / Johan


    Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

    Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Where is it as i did not found ZTIGather.log under panther folder or deploymentlogs folder.

    manggar77

    Friday, September 13, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Should be in C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS at this point...

    / Johan


    Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

    Friday, September 13, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Hi Johan,

    finally i manage to solve it. what im doing is only to recreate a new deployment share then setup everything as what i have done before. this time the deployment is running without any errors. many thanks for all advice and help.


    manggar77

    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Something to add.  I was having this problem, and it turns out I had specified an invalid (too long) computer name in my CustomSettings.ini file for OSDComputerName.

    This name was being put into the unattend.xml file, and when Windows tried to apply that (in the Specialize phase), the name was too long and errored out.

    Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:02 PM