none
Excel 2013 version for just viewing power pivot workbooks

Question

• Hi All,

I want to clarify if users can use different versions of excel 2013 for creating power pivot workbooks as opposed to just viewing existing power pivot workbooks.  Can we have a setup where;

user A has excel 2013 professional plus and create a power pivot workbook with tables and slicers. User B only has excel 2013 mid size business or Excel 2013 standard and user B can view the workbook and reports created by user A.

IS this possible or all users need excel 2013 pro plus (or office 365 pro plus)?

thanks

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 11:30 PM

Answers

• Sonny, 

Yes I was able to open a workbook in Excel 2013 no Power Pivot tab/installed and use the pivot table that was connected to the Power Pivot model within the workbook. 

I added a slicer and it worked.

I deleted items within the pivot table and it worked. 

I added items within the pivot table and it worked.

Hope this helps.

Reeves

Denver, CO

• Marked as answer by sonnyA Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:15 AM
    Thursday, September 04, 2014 12:17 AM

All replies

• Sonny, 

If you have the Excel 2013 standard edition, you are able to use the model but not update it.

If it is an Excel 2010 model, it will tell you to upgrade the model and with standard edition you will not be able to. Upgraded the model with a Power Pivot enabled version of Excel and then you are able to open it in Excel 2013 standard.

Hope this helps.

Reeves

Denver, CO

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Hi Reeves,

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify;

say I have excel 2013 standard on my laptop and want to interact with Power Pivot 2013 workbook prepared by my colleague ...

1. When I open the workbook I can see slicers and use them to slice and dice existing data

2. However I cannot refresh my workbook with new data

3. Can I see the data model or Power Pivot ribbon at all?

4. can I prepare new pivot tables from existing data?

Idea here is my client want to have the most cost effective option for implementing power pivot and most users are just consumers of reports.

Thanks

Sonny

• Edited by sonnyA Wednesday, September 03, 2014 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 03, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hello,

See Start Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel 2013 add-in : "Power View and Power Pivot are available in the Office Professional Plus and Office 365 Professional Plus editions, and in the standalone edition of Excel 2013"

In other edition of Excel Power Pivot isn't available and you can't view the PP model there.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 10:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Olaf, 

Just to clarify:

I was able to open a 2013 Excel workbook that contained a Power Pivot model from Excel standard 2013 (not the stand alone version) and I clicked and was able to browse the data (not model). I did not have the Power Pivot add-in installed.

When I tried to open a workbook that was saved in Excel 2010 that aslo contained a Power Pivot model I was told it needed to be upgraded and I was not able to browse the model. 

That was what I saw and I thought I read somewhere where that was the case, but I tested it out just to make sure.

Does that sound correct?

Reeves

Denver, CO

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi Reeves,

So from your test we can conclude that if a user just needs interact with existing data using slicers he only needs excel 2013 standard.  For example, a scenario where this user access a power pivot workbook saved in a shared folder by another user who created and refreshed it.

sonny

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 10:49 PM
  • Sonny, 

Yes I was able to open a workbook in Excel 2013 no Power Pivot tab/installed and use the pivot table that was connected to the Power Pivot model within the workbook. 

I added a slicer and it worked.

I deleted items within the pivot table and it worked. 

I added items within the pivot table and it worked.

Hope this helps.

Reeves

Denver, CO

• Marked as answer by sonnyA Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:15 AM
    Thursday, September 04, 2014 12:17 AM