none
Datasources still exist for deleted computers

Question

• Our DPM server is using a lot of space.  We are protecting laptops and colocating data.  When I run the Get-Datasource powershell command I still see datasources for computers that I have deleted.  These computers do not show up anywhere in the GUI.  I'm wondering why they still show up when I run the Get-Datasource command.  Shouldn't Datasources for deleted computers be deleted?  If so how do I delete them?
    Friday, February 17, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• Can you check how many RPs you have for this unprotected datasource and share its output from the PS Script below?

Just replace <compuer_name> with the name of the workstation you are referencing to. Leave the asterisc at the end so you won't need to type in its FQDN.

$ds = get-datasource (&hostname) | ? { $_.ProductionServerName -like '<computer_name>*' }
    foreach ($ds1 in $ds) { get-recoverypoint $ds1 | ft userfriendlyname, representedpointintime, datasource, datalocation, datasourceid -auto }

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:35 PM

All replies

• They will be removed once the retention range for the already created recovery points are reached.

Because this is a collocated volume, you won't see that volume be shrank once all RPs are removed (you will get space back form it though).

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening.  My retention period is 14 days and some of these were deleted from the GUI over 2 months ago. 
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Can you check how many RPs you have for this unprotected datasource and share its output from the PS Script below?

Just replace <compuer_name> with the name of the workstation you are referencing to. Leave the asterisc at the end so you won't need to type in its FQDN.

$ds = get-datasource (&hostname) | ? { $_.ProductionServerName -like '<computer_name>*' }
    foreach ($ds1 in $ds) { get-recoverypoint $ds1 | ft userfriendlyname, representedpointintime, datasource, datalocation, datasourceid -auto }

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I ran it for the workstations and it looks like there are no recovery points for those datasources.  Does that mean they are not taking up space or could there still be space allocated for them?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:28 PM
  • I tried Remove-DatasourceReplica for one of the systems and I get an error that there is no inactive replica on Disk. 
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Is there an active replica for that datasource you tried to remove?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:32 PM
  • I'm just trying to confirm that these systems are not taking up space.  There are over 20 laptops that I have deleted but still show up when I run the Get-Datasource script.  We are using a lot more space than we expected so I'd like to make sure the laptops get completely deleted.  We have more than doubled the amount of space that our old backup software was using.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Our data has grown to almost 10TB.  When I run the get-datasource command I am still seeing datasources for laptops that I deleted 6 months ago.  I understand that there are no recovery points but DPM doesn't need recovery points to allocate space for a system.  Is there a way to confirm that these old datasources are not taking up space?  Does anyone know a way to delete them when co-locating data?

We have a pretty constant number of users.   When they get new laptops I delete the old laptop after the new one backs up.  I understand that the users data size can grow and that a constant number of laptops doesn't mean the datasize will stay constant but we are increasing a little too much for my comfort.  I only back up their profiles.

Friday, June 01, 2012 2:26 PM