none
Is there a way to do this with SharePoint Designer?

Question

• I am attempting to make a small tool in SharePoint and I am not sure what I am trying to accomplish is possible.

I have a folder with documents and I want to assign a column to this list of documents which has all the names of all the people who need to read the documents.  The names of the people that must read the documents depends on the rank of the document and the type.

My approach: I created a list with the names of all the people involved and assigned them a Rank and Type.  Ex: Vice-President would have a Rank 4 and a Type Engineering...  When a document is uploaded a user must enter in the Rank and Type of the document (done this).  From there I want a column to be populated with the names of all the people in the list with the same type and Rank Higher than or equal to the Rank of the document.  So when the other users go see the list of documents they can filter theyre name and find all the documents they must read.

Is this possible?

If not the users can filter the list of documents by rank.  Is it possible to implement a filter to the list that uses a greater than operators?

Thank you in advance for your help

K.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi K,

I would like suggest you to “filter” list view by modifying the permissions for each item with SharePoint Designer workflow.

If you are using the Rating settings (under List Settings), then first, we need to create a calculated column to get data from Rating(0-5) and select it return as Number type. (Suppose we named this calculate column “Rating”).

Next, let’s start to create workflow. (We need to put all the actions into impersonation step, because the modify permission actions are only available in impersonation step.)

If Current Item: rating is greater than or equal to 1,
    and Current Item: rating is less than 2,
    Remove group_Level_0 permission from current item.

Else If Current Item: rating is greater than or equal to 2,
    and Current Item: rating is less than 3,
    Remove group_Level_0 and group_Level_1 permission from current item.

Else If Current Item: rating is greater than or equal to 3,
    and Current Item: rating is less than 4,
    Remove group_Level_0, group_Level_1 and group_Level_2 permission from current item.

Else If Current Item: rating is greater than or equal to 4,
    and Current Item: rating is less than 5,
    Remove group_Level_0, group_Level_1, group_Level_2 and group_Level_3 permission from current item.

Else
    Remove group_Level_0, group_Level_1, group_Level_2, group_Level_3 and group_level_4 permission from current item.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:33 AM