none
Install software while user is logged in.

Question

• Is there a way for a technician with local admin access to install software while the user is logged on? 

My original plan was to deploy programs to the all technicians user group and have the technicians run the Software Center\Application Catalog under their ID so the deployments are available while they are at a users PC logged in as the user. It doesn't appear as if this will work however as I receive the following message.

Monday, August 05, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• No, in that case the tech should logon to the machine and then run the application. It will not work if user is logged on and tech tries to open the software centre with his account. Also the tech's account should be the primary user for that machine and ther are multiple ways to achieve that.

Regards, Manohar Pusala

• Marked as answer by UKHC Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:39 PM
    Monday, August 05, 2013 8:54 PM

All replies

• As SCCM installs applications thru local system account even when a user is logged in,Is there any specific requirement that you need them to run with a local tech account ?if the local tech needs to provide some inputs during the install can't that be automated thru a wrapper script like .vbs

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Monday, August 05, 2013 8:24 PM
  • I don't want the program to run as the local tech. I only want the local tech to have access to initiate the installs. This is why I thought that deploying the programs to the Local Tech AD user group would work. 
    Monday, August 05, 2013 8:28 PM
  • No, in that case the tech should logon to the machine and then run the application. It will not work if user is logged on and tech tries to open the software centre with his account. Also the tech's account should be the primary user for that machine and ther are multiple ways to achieve that.

Regards, Manohar Pusala

• Marked as answer by UKHC Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:39 PM
    Monday, August 05, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Also, if you have ConfigMgr, why do you need/want a tech to install software? That's the whole point of software distribution in ConfigMgr.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:03 AM
  • We wanted to utilize this when a tech is at a PC and they need to install software quickly while logged in as the user. Is there no way around the restriction in the App Catalog?
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Well, you could launch IE with the tech's credentials and then visit the application catalog. I've never tried this myself, so I can't guarantee it'll actually work.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Well, you could launch IE with the tech's credentials and then visit the application catalog. I've never tried this myself, so I can't guarantee it'll actually work.

Don't retire TechNet!

Mike,

Tried that with the same results as the run as from the software center. Same error

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Well, if you run out of options, you can use my old standby:

runas /user:domain\adminaccount cmd

EDIT: PowerShell is even better than cmd, if you have it available.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:48 PM
  • I still don't get it? Why a Tech at all? Why isn't the user initiating the install from the App Catalog or Software Center?

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 10:04 PM
  • If a user calls and wants software X installed, then Helpdesk should add that user into a group that is in a collection that gets that software. There should be no need for any remote support session.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Jason - your environment must be at level 5 maturity or it's a user base of all IT professionals. In large, complex environments it's just not feasible to have the user installing software. As there are many types of software versions and dependencies on versions the users just can't be trusted to do the right thing....

And it's just a URL...surely "run as" should work on IE. Besides...I can do it in Altiris. :ducking:

Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Jason - your environment must be at level 5 maturity or it's a user base of all IT professionals. In large, complex environments it's just not feasible to have the user installing software. As there are many types of software versions and dependencies on versions the users just can't be trusted to do the right thing....

And it's just a URL...surely "run as" should work on IE. Besides...I can do it in Altiris. :ducking:

Huh? That's exactly what many/most organizations do.

Once again, that's the whole point of ConfigMgr and in particular the App Catalog. If you have dependencies and requirements, you define those as part of your Application.

If you've properly designed and configured your Applications, it's simply the user finding the app in the portal and clicking Install. It's really not expecting much, if anything, from the users.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:28 PM