none
Outlook 2010 Corrupt Inbox Recovered

Question

• I'm running Outlook 2010.  When it crashed recently, my Inbox was lost.  Outlook detected the error and recovered the inbox, but it is now in a new subfolder under Lost & Found with the name "Recovered folder 8082".  New email is now directed to that folder and Outlook works fine, but having this odd name and location is irritating.  How can I get back to a normal Inbox and direct my new mail to go there?  I tried creating a new folder named Inbox, and I can transfer email to it, but I can't find how to make Outlook use it for new incoming mail.  Has anybody got a solution for this?
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Start Outlook with the resetfoldernames switch.

Start-> type: outlook.exe /resetfoldernames
    (note the space in the command above)

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Thanks, Robert.  That was easy!  It's still under Lost & Found, but at least I don't have to look at that funny altered name.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:25 PM
  • What's the account type you use? IMAP?

Visit your webmail, check the folders, is there a Lost & Found folder?

Try creating a new profile to setup the account in Outlook:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918/en-us

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thanks, Don.  That was the other missing piece. I didn't have to create a new profile.  The profile dialog box let me fix my existing profile.  It lets you select the target folder for new email. I've learned a little more since making my original post.

I had never thought of looking for Outlook switches to fix things until I read Robert's answer above, so I looked up the list and found "/resetfolders", which is supposed to restore any of the standard folders that are missing and display them in their normal positions.  I used that switch and it did indeed create a folder named "Inbox", but it was displayed in alphabetical order just like any other folder that the user creates and it did not automatically become the target for new email. The Inbox under Lost & Found was still the destination folder.  I made a workaround by creating a rule to move all incoming mail to the new Inbox. That worked okay, but the new Inbox was still displayed in the wrong place.

When I got your post, I called up the Profiles dialog.  I looked at the Properties tab for my existing profile and found that this is where you can assign the target folder for new email.  I knew I had seen something like that before, but I didn't remember where.  I changed the target to be the newly created Inbox folder, quit the dialog, turned off my rule that moved incoming mail, and sent myself a test message.  I shut Outlook down, restarted it and voila!  The Inbox is now displayed in its proper location and the test message was sent directly there.

Problem solved.  Thanks again to you and Robert!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:42 PM