none
Backup of DW and Management Packs

Question

• Hi,

I am planning to apply CU3 on Service Manager 2007 RTM, however, I cannot seem to locate the SM datawarehouse to perform a backup pre-installation.

Also, I would like to backup all sealed and unsealed Management Packs and again have trawled the internet to find a means of doing this, but haven't come up with a good powershell script (including url http://www.scsm.se/?p=227)

Appreciate assistance on this.

Thanks

Monju

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

• I think you meant 2010 instead of 2007

do you have DW registered with SM? are logged on as SM admin? if so, run Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration (from SMLets) in SM PowerShell Command in order to get the DW Server Name.

PS Script to backup all the MPs:

PSSnapIn SMCmdletSnapIn 
    Get-SCSMManagementPack|Export-SCSMManagementPack -Directory c:\mpbackup

and this one for unsealed ones only

PSSnapIn SMCmdletSnapIn 
    Get-SCSMManagementPack|where-object {! $_.Sealed}|Export-SCSMManagementPack -Directory c:\mpbackup

Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:39 AM
    • SMLets must be installed first on the SM server http://smlets.codeplex.com/, then import it (Import-Module smlets -Force) before running Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration
    Import-Module smlets -Force
    Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration 
    • if you are using SM2012, then:
    import-module SMLets -force
    Get-SCSMManagementPack | ?{ ! $_.Sealed } | Export-SCSMManagementPack -Path c:\mpbackup

or you can get the DW servername, SM Console > Data Warehouse > Data Sources > SDK Server (see below)

Note: Run the above scripts on the SM server as SM admin & the C:\mpbackup folder must be created before running the PS script.

• Marked as answer by Monju_ Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:24 AM

All replies

• I think you meant 2010 instead of 2007

do you have DW registered with SM? are logged on as SM admin? if so, run Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration (from SMLets) in SM PowerShell Command in order to get the DW Server Name.

PS Script to backup all the MPs:

PSSnapIn SMCmdletSnapIn 
    Get-SCSMManagementPack|Export-SCSMManagementPack -Directory c:\mpbackup

and this one for unsealed ones only

PSSnapIn SMCmdletSnapIn 
    Get-SCSMManagementPack|where-object {! $_.Sealed}|Export-SCSMManagementPack -Directory c:\mpbackup

Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:39 AM
  • My sincere apologies, SM version is actually

System Center 2012 Service Manager RTM

with the Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration, I get the following results

The term 'Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:31
    + Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration:
       String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I also receive power shell scnapin errrors for the ps scripts mentioned.

Appreciate further assistance.

Monju

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:15 AM
    • SMLets must be installed first on the SM server http://smlets.codeplex.com/, then import it (Import-Module smlets -Force) before running Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration
    Import-Module smlets -Force
    Get-DataWarehouseConfiguration 
    • if you are using SM2012, then:
    import-module SMLets -force
    Get-SCSMManagementPack | ?{ ! $_.Sealed } | Export-SCSMManagementPack -Path c:\mpbackup

or you can get the DW servername, SM Console > Data Warehouse > Data Sources > SDK Server (see below)

Note: Run the above scripts on the SM server as SM admin & the C:\mpbackup folder must be created before running the PS script.

• Marked as answer by Monju_ Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Thank you Andreas/Ayman.

Didn't notice the DW Server details until you pointed out and I scrolled down the screen.

The script worked very well and I now have a backup.

Appreciate all the assistance provided.

Monju

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:22 AM