none
SSAS 2008 R2 Writebacks

Question

• I am working in a development environment with SSAS 2008 R2 Developer Edition and attempting to set up writebacks.  I have a cube, I have enabled the writeback using a new partition.

Opened the cube in Excel 2013 and attempted in Excel 2010, I can see the new Writeback table created in the DB.

When in Excel I enable the What If Analysis, change a counter from 1 to 0, click on Publish Changes.

Excel just sits and runs, I can see at the bottom it states "Calculating OLAP cube with PivotTable changes"  I wait for a good few minutes (There is only 1 row in the fact table), and end up cancelling the update because it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

I have seen other posts and walk through the steps and feel I have them all covered, but not sure what things aren't being updated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• Update: So our production server is 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and I did a quick cube to a new DB there and set up the write back, and it worked successfully.

So my questions is, does anyone know if Writeback is suppose to work with Developer Edition?  We are going to make sure we have the latest CU and test again, but wanted to throw this out there as well.

Hi jdb09,

Yes, SQL Server Developer edition support writeback funcationality. For features supported by Evaluation and Developer editions see the SQL Server Enterprise feature set:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:48 AM

All replies

• Update: So our production server is 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and I did a quick cube to a new DB there and set up the write back, and it worked successfully.

So my questions is, does anyone know if Writeback is suppose to work with Developer Edition?  We are going to make sure we have the latest CU and test again, but wanted to throw this out there as well.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:33 PM

Hi jdb09,

Yes, SQL Server Developer edition support writeback funcationality. For features supported by Evaluation and Developer editions see the SQL Server Enterprise feature set:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:48 AM