none
Replica option keeps being reset

Question

• Hey All,

I'm not too sure what is going on here but it is a little strange.

We have an existing WSUS server. We installed SCCM 2012 but needed WSUS on that box as well to use the software update point. So we installed a WSUS replica server on the same box as SCCM 2012. It was working fine and synchronizing with its upstream server. Now all of a sudden some clients aren't updating that are reporting to the new server

After looking at the synchronizations of the new replica box I discovered it is reporting that it syncs successfully but doesn't add any new updates. I took a look in the options and discovered that the "This server is a replica of an upstream server" option has been UNCHECKED. I rechecked it and applied the changes.

Now looking at it today, it is doing the same thing, synchronization successful but no new updates, and the "replica server option" is once again UNCHECKED.

Any suggestions?

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:11 PM

Answers

• So we installed a WSUS replica server on the same box as SCCM 2012.

This is your core issue.

A Configuration Manager Software Update Point cannot be a replica server; it must be an Upstream Server synchronizing directly with Microsoft.

You observed the checkbox unchecked and that's because Configuration Manager OWNS the configuration of that WSUS server, and it unchecked it because it cannot be a replica server. You rechecked it and ConfigMgr is gonna uncheck it again an hour later, as you observed the next day.

Any suggestions?

Review the Configuration Manager Software Update Point documentation or a reputable book on performing software updates using Configuration Manager.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:31 PM