none
Server backup - only last two available but should have plenty?

Question

• Trying to a few different historical backups of the server.  Turns out I've only got the last two available, even though the server backup has been running every night without error.

Also, I've only got two physical drives in the server with about 230GB total data stored.  The external backup drive is 1.5TB.

I understand that old backups might be removed to make way for new ones.  But only the last two are available?  Plus, if I had a total of 500GB to backup, a 1.5TB drive shouldn't fill up after 3 backups - isn't the backup program more efficient than that?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:13 AM

Answers

• May I know if you are using Windows Server backup?

If yes, please run the command  "wbadmin get versions -backup target:<Drive letter>:

Also most backups are Incremental so you will not see backup drive filled up in 3 days as you said. Please refer to below article for more info on Incremental backups:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136621?wa=wsignin1.0

If you are using any other backup pelase contact them. Basically backedup data info is saved in a catalogue file which might be messed up.

Please reply with you findings..

Thanks & Regards, Naga Santosh EPS(SBS)

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:02 AM
  • So this list is generated from Windows Server backup history.

1) If you would like to check whether these all backups are working then you can try restoring it to alternate location using wbadmin commands:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742035(v=ws.10).aspx

Use below switch to see if you can restore the system state (to test) to an alternate location:

wbadmin start systemstaterecovery -version:08/18/2012-01:00 -recoveryTarget d:\Test Restore

2) Please try to update the wbadmin and Wbengine using the hotfix from the below KB: (You can check the version details of the wbengine under (C:\Windows\System32)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727978/en-us

3) If still restore fails then you can repair mediaID.bin file using the sdutil.exe (Find in internet) to rebuild the same. (provided you make another copy of all the backups before palying with original set) I don't think the backup set is corrupt.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Your pictures are not available. But I could understand what you are saying.

Since you mentioned that you need only some file from backup set. You can try connecting the backup drive to an Win7 or Win 2008r2 or SBS 2011 server disk management >> Attach VHD option to browse the files and copy them over to physical alternate path.

Please refer to below link for more info:

http://www.7tutorials.com/disk-management-how-mount-and-unmount-vhd-images

If you still want to retrieve file only through backup then please follow the below steps.

Please connect this backup Drive to any other SBS 2011 Server and try running the below command:

wbadmin get version -backuptarget:<Drive>:

Else you may proceed to create another copy of your backup sets and try using sdutil to rebuild the mediaid.bin.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/184885-procedure-rebuild-mediaid-bin-restoring-backups.html

Friday, June 14, 2013 5:17 AM
  • We are not sure whether the catelogue files are missing some data or the backups that you have take is on the drive which is currently connected.

If you are sure that the files are backed up on the current backup drive then we ae avoiding the Backup application to restore the files and usign an file I/O method to extract the required files from the backup VHD.

(Here we are disregarding the file catelogue and mediaid.bin and extracting file from the backup VHD.)

Also you can see the date created and modified once the files are extracted to see how current they are..

Don't forget to disconnect the VHD from diskmgmt.msc once you dealt witht he required files. Please DO NOT click on delete VHD option while to detach the VHD.

Please try to perform step 1 in above response and let me know if this is successful.

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:43 AM

All replies

• May I know if you are using Windows Server backup?

If yes, please run the command  "wbadmin get versions -backup target:<Drive letter>:

Also most backups are Incremental so you will not see backup drive filled up in 3 days as you said. Please refer to below article for more info on Incremental backups:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136621?wa=wsignin1.0

If you are using any other backup pelase contact them. Basically backedup data info is saved in a catalogue file which might be messed up.

Please reply with you findings..

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Yes, it is Windows Server Backup.

C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin get versions
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Backup time: 8/17/2012 9:00 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled \\?\Volume{9dac6d95-262c-11e1-9764-00221904
    7bad}
    Version identifier: 08/18/2012-01:00
    Can recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery, System Sta
    te
    Snapshot ID: {610a30bd-1b4d-4ee6-86ea-a643ae1f21cd}

Backup time: 8/18/2012 9:00 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled \\?\Volume{9dac6d95-262c-11e1-9764-00221904
    7bad}
    Version identifier: 08/19/2012-01:00
    Can recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery, System Sta
    te
    Snapshot ID: {e372c30d-1d40-42d1-9435-6aeaf51fd3a4}

Backup time: 9/15/2012 12:50 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled F:
    Version identifier: 09/15/2012-16:50
    te
    Snapshot ID: {ed0f995c-ab17-4f13-9a79-4a4f78971740}

Backup time: 9/15/2012 2:39 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled My Passport(F:)
    Version identifier: 09/15/2012-18:39
    Can recover: Volume(s), File(s)
    Snapshot ID: {9d052a72-a175-44ac-ad57-90086ced0854}

Backup time: 6/10/2013 9:00 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled \\?\Volume{a7d47c71-fbc3-11e1-a296-00221904
    7bad}
    Version identifier: 06/11/2013-01:00
    te
    Snapshot ID: {aab7cbec-34b3-4ed3-944d-9e4c3f448873}

Backup time: 6/11/2013 9:00 PM
    Backup target: 1394/USB Disk labeled \\?\Volume{a7d47c71-fbc3-11e1-a296-00221904
    7bad}
    Version identifier: 06/12/2013-01:00
    te
    Snapshot ID: {423198ae-4c54-40ea-88e6-530cb8cdc890}

Backup time: 6/12/2013 9:00 PM
    7bad}
    Version identifier: 06/13/2013-01:00
    te
    Snapshot ID: {2d0d0506-97de-410f-a939-8f30bd9d357f}

Hopefully the backups are working and it's just a catalog that needs rebuilding?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:58 AM
  • So this list is generated from Windows Server backup history.

1) If you would like to check whether these all backups are working then you can try restoring it to alternate location using wbadmin commands:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742035(v=ws.10).aspx

Use below switch to see if you can restore the system state (to test) to an alternate location:

wbadmin start systemstaterecovery -version:08/18/2012-01:00 -recoveryTarget d:\Test Restore

2) Please try to update the wbadmin and Wbengine using the hotfix from the below KB: (You can check the version details of the wbengine under (C:\Windows\System32)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727978/en-us

3) If still restore fails then you can repair mediaID.bin file using the sdutil.exe (Find in internet) to rebuild the same. (provided you make another copy of all the backups before palying with original set) I don't think the backup set is corrupt.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestions so far Naga.  To be clear that we're working on the same problem...

I can only choose from 7 backup snapshots right now.  I should be able to choose from many more than that.  That's what I'm trying to solve.

I noticed this because I needed to restore some files from March 2013.  As you can see my backups available to restore are from August 2012, September 2012 and June 2013 (now).  

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Do you have the backup drive connected which has backups from March 2013 backups.

Also check the history under Windows Server backup Console to see what backups you have taken in the month of march.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Don't know where to find history under Windows Server backup Console.

I'm running the program launched from the icon "Windows Server Backup" which executes %windir%\system32\wbadmin.msc  Here's what I can see that's the closest thing to history:

If I look at the backups from the Dashboard this is what I see:

It shows backups going all the way back to April.  I should be able to access any one of those, correct?  Instead I can only restore from 3 of them.

(Note, I meant to say May, not March in prior post.)

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Your pictures are not available. But I could understand what you are saying.

Since you mentioned that you need only some file from backup set. You can try connecting the backup drive to an Win7 or Win 2008r2 or SBS 2011 server disk management >> Attach VHD option to browse the files and copy them over to physical alternate path.

Please refer to below link for more info:

If you still want to retrieve file only through backup then please follow the below steps.

Please connect this backup Drive to any other SBS 2011 Server and try running the below command:

wbadmin get version -backuptarget:<Drive>:

Else you may proceed to create another copy of your backup sets and try using sdutil to rebuild the mediaid.bin.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/184885-procedure-rebuild-mediaid-bin-restoring-backups.html

Friday, June 14, 2013 5:17 AM
  • So, even though the restore wizard won't allow me to restore files from some of the other backups I should be able to restore the files using different methods?
    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:40 AM
  • We are not sure whether the catelogue files are missing some data or the backups that you have take is on the drive which is currently connected.

If you are sure that the files are backed up on the current backup drive then we ae avoiding the Backup application to restore the files and usign an file I/O method to extract the required files from the backup VHD.

(Here we are disregarding the file catelogue and mediaid.bin and extracting file from the backup VHD.)

Also you can see the date created and modified once the files are extracted to see how current they are..

Don't forget to disconnect the VHD from diskmgmt.msc once you dealt witht he required files. Please DO NOT click on delete VHD option while to detach the VHD.

Please try to perform step 1 in above response and let me know if this is successful.

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Sorry for not responding.  The immediate need for these files has passed, but I'd still like to understand what has happened.

I'm sure that the current external drive is the one that was connected.  It's the only drive that has been connected for several months.  So I can take that drive to another system and read it?

I know that the files aren't going to be on there like the actual drives on the server.  I need to understand how they're stored and how to access them.  I'm most familiar with the program Macrium Reflect.  If I take a backup image that I've created with that program I can use the program to mount one of the drives in the image in Windows.  I suppose the VHDs are similar.

I see that you pointed me to a good understanding of how VHDs work above with this link

A few questions:

1) Will I see a separate VHD for each backup date?

2) Is it important to do this from a separate system?

Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:25 AM
  • 1)Will I see a separate VHD for each backup date?

No, when you attach a VHD, you will see it as once single drive under my computer. Regardless of n number of backup copies you have in it.

2) Is it important to do this from a separate system?

It is better to connect to seperate Win 7or 2008 r2 since you have issues with current machine. (If you are using SBS 2011 which will have 2008 r2 kernal, you will be able to perform the task on same machine).

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:14 AM