none
after password changed, can not login to a restored backup VM

Question

• Hello everyone,

I have a Windows 2012 R2 VM, something went wrong with an application installed on it so I wanted to restore an old backup,  after doing the restore (switching vhd file), I have a problem logging in using my domain account , I keep getting an error message saying password is invalid !.  the password was actually changed recently and it is different than the one I used at the time of doing the backup.

there is also a local admin account that works fine but I need my domain account also to work , how can I fix this problem ?

I removed the machine from the domain and then when I tried to add it again , it also give me an error because of my domain account password ! and i know the password is correct but it seems that the old password is somehow cached ?

please help...thanks.

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:08 PM

Answers

• yes, that domain account is in the Domain Admins group. 

I just tried again , and I was successful to join the machine back to the domain !

I guess I had to just reboot it twice after removing it from the domain !

Thanks for the help. 

• Marked as answer by cool_misbah Friday, June 27, 2014 5:44 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this domain account, is it in Domain Admins group? Or is it just a regular domain user without admin rights?

Can you change the password of your domain account in the Active Directory?

This error that you are receiving, is it wrong password or some other errors, lets say DNS related?

When you login locally, try to add this domain account to the local admins group on your server.

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered, thanks! Kind regards

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:16 PM
  • yes, that domain account is in the Domain Admins group. 

I just tried again , and I was successful to join the machine back to the domain !

I guess I had to just reboot it twice after removing it from the domain !

Thanks for the help. 

• Marked as answer by cool_misbah Friday, June 27, 2014 5:44 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Just one question: did you check when the computer-account password has changed the last time? When this happened after you created the backup which you used for the restore, then this might be the problem.

Also check local system time for time scew - the system time must be within the "Maximum tolerance for computer clock synchronization" threshold specified in your Domain-Policy.

See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779260%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I suspect the second option, as for the first the error would be different, at least on Windows Server 2008 R2 and below.

best regards
    Switch

MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCSA Windows Server 2012
    MCTS Windows 7 Configuration

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Switch1210 Friday, June 27, 2014 5:44 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad you solved the issue :)

Please mark this topic as answered so you can help others when they search for help.

Regards.

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered, thanks! Kind regards

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:43 PM