none
Am trying to monitor a service on my server

Question

• Am trying to monitor a service on my server (windows server 2008)using a tool that comes installed with the windows operating system, how do i do this. Thanks 
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it depends on what you mean by 'monitor'.

Services are monitored by default by Service Control Manager. Service Control Manager will log an event in system event log and, if configured, restart a service if it fails.

If you would like a notification of that event, you can configure windows to send an e-mail when that event occurs.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2010/06/16/getting-event-log-contents-by-email-on-an-event-log-trigger.aspx

Note that this functionality is deprecated already in 2012 (because it's a bad idea to use this as monitoring solution on a larger scale).

In Windows 2012 you could add the servers into server manager from one server; it will result in a nice GUI console showing you the status of the service.

Note that monitoring services has another caveat: both service control manager as most monitoring tools only monitor whether the process runs,...not whether it is fully functional or does what you expect. That would require specific programming for teh specific services.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:02 PM