none
Adding a domain controller to an existing Domain inside server 2012

Question

•  I have created a domain contoso.com with an administrator account.Then i moved to 2nd server which i want to add in this existing domain.Being logged in at the 2nd server with administrator account, i added the role of ADDS and then i tried to promote this to DC.While do so, i selected the option "Add a domain controller to existing domain".When i finally recah this the Installation wizard , it shows like "creating NDTS settings objects fo this ADDS on remote ADDC(domain name)..........This page remains in progress for ages and process never finishes.

When i check at the first(main domain) , there is no NDTS object for the added DC although i can see  the server but nothing inside it.NDTS object should be there.Y

1) NDTS object is not created ?

2) The process is taking hours?

Both can ping each other

Regards,

Fawad

• Edited by FawadFaheem Saturday, April 05, 2014 1:37 PM
    Saturday, April 05, 2014 1:20 PM

Answers

• 1. IP of DNS setting on second server points to first DC.

2. Add second computer to domain. Make sure that second server is part of AD (member).

3. Add role ADDS on second server that is member of AD.

In summary: You should add second server to domain first before promoting it to DC role.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:21 AM

All replies

• Please make it sure that you disable the firewall on both the servers and also see that your second domain controller dns settings are pointed to the first domain controller.

Thanks 

http://www.arabitpro.com

Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:53 AM
  • 1. IP of DNS setting on second server points to first DC.

2. Add second computer to domain. Make sure that second server is part of AD (member).

3. Add role ADDS on second server that is member of AD.

In summary: You should add second server to domain first before promoting it to DC role.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:21 AM