none
Windows 2008R2 server in Windows 2008R2 domain picking Linux server as DC

General discussion

• Hello,

I have a Windows 2008R2 server with some (SAP) services configured to run as myserviceuser@ourdomain.local

At every scheduled reboot, the services won't start or will be in "start_pending".

System Eventlog:

The SAPxxx_## service failed to start due to the following error:
    The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

I finally found out that after server restart, it is using an old Linux SUSE test server with SAMBA as domain controller.

SYSTEM eventID 5791: "The domain of this computer, OURDOMAIN has been downgraded from Windows 2000 or newer to Windows NT4 or older. The computer cannot function properly in this case for authentication purposes. This computer needs to rejoin the domain."

Somehow it will find the right DC after logging on to the server using RDP, but it almost never starts the services correctly without manual admin intervention (log on as local user and open SAP MMC). We have checked that the server machine account does at that moment logon to the correct domain controller.

I checked the server DNS settings with my domain admin and he showed me, how it was impossible to get the "wrong" DC names from our DNS setup. However, there is no doubt that the server is using the Linux SAMBA server (with only a few test users) as DC during windows startup. My domain admin suspects the SAP installation to have done "mysterious configuration changes to windows" but I fail to see why an SAP AS ABAP server would suddenly connect to a test Linux server we have never before known about.

Please suggest what we should do to fix this.

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS servers in the domain and the problem machine, so we can verify some settings.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, July 08, 2013 10:08 AM