none
Unable to find new Web Application created in Sharepoint 2013 in IIS Application Pools

Question

• Hi,

Please show pity on a newbie Sharepointer who is slowly losing the will to carry on.

How do I troubleshoot the creation of a new web application in Sharepoint?

I used the central administration tool, Application Management/New in Sharepoint to create a new Web Application on port 443

I try to access the new web application in Internet Explorer and get a "Page Cannot be Displayed."

When I go to IIS manager to find the new Application pool it is not present

This has worked in the past, I can see the application pool and sites in IIS. However that was for a web application that is on a random port and is not SSL.

Are there any diagnostic logs, events I can look at for more information?

Many Thanks.

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I Think you simply need to create a site Collection in your Web Application. A web application is just an empty container and need at least one Site Collection.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for responding so quickly, I should have added that I created the site collection as well under the application using the link at the confirmation of the creation of the Web application. 

I used the url link to try and view the site from central admin which gave the page cannot be displayed error message.

I've found the diagnostics logs under the c drive ..../15/LOGS however these are full of loads of information but nothing that would suggest a problem in the web/site creation.

Thanks Very Much.

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:57 PM
  • HI,

Check in IIS if the authentications are enabled correctly for your new web application.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Thanks for that, but unfortunately I can't see the web application in IIS.

In terms of user accounts, who should you log on as to create the site? I had an account I used to install sharepoint and another to own the application pools. However the account that owns the application pool is unable to use IIS manager. The administrator account can however use IIS to see the application pools and sites.

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Hi Oraboy,

How did you create the web app? So which settings did you use for things like port, host header, authentication etc?

Shereen Qumsieh http://sharepointdeveloperhq.com @msshushu

Friday, July 19, 2013 7:02 PM
  • You can find Event log from IIS in Event Viewer->Custom Views->Server Roles->Web Server(IIS).

Sometimes, you see error because the web application pool for central administration terminated. Try create web application with PowerShell

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:41 AM
  • The port is 443 which I believe is the default for ssl. 

We want to make the site available at a generic url such as http://sharepoint.<domain> without the port.

This is what I've entered in the host header.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:04 AM
  • whatever the protocol, hostheader, port combination it is, it must be acceptable in IIS manager, you can test by create a simple IIS site in IIS manager manually, and use the protocol, hostheader, port combination in IIS binding for the site, and test if the site can be started. There will be error prompted if the combination conflicts with other sites in IIS.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 8:45 AM
  • As suggested I've attempted to create a web site listening on the same port (443) using IIS manager. The error I get when I click on start is;

This website cannot be started. Another website maybe using the same port.

I'm logged on as administrator, is it possible the administrator account is unable to see all sites that are running on my server?

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Do you have a wildcard certificate installed, or are you using a hostname certificate (e.g. sharepoint.mycompany.com)?  Remember that SSL certificates are bound by IP, so if you need to cover multiple hostnames, you either need a wildcard/UCC certificate or multiple IPs with a certificate bound to each.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Oh dear, so I need to learn about all things SSL to use https protocol for my sharepoint site?

Would I need to acquire a ssl cert from the likes of verisign in order to test my sharepoint site in a virtual development server?

Monday, July 22, 2013 4:38 PM
  • In a development environment, I tend to use a Microsoft Certification Authority (a role part of Windows Server) to dole out certificates.  This way I don't have to use a 3rd party vendor that is going to charge me for it.

However, if you ask for *.domain.com (wildcard) from your SSL vendor, you don't have to worry about IP:SSL certificate combinations (given you're not using multiple domain names).  

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, July 22, 2013 4:40 PM
  • I tried to follow an online guide on how to achieve what you recommend in 2012 server, however at one point it describes requiring a certificate for encryption purposes when doling out the certificates. The suggestion was to get this from a certificate authority. This sort of defeats the purpose of using the windows server role doesn't it?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Follow this installation guide:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj125375.aspx

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:07 PM
  • You`ve misse the point. How you can see in the Windows server 2012  the application pool in general?

Because are not more there. Or it should be seen in a different way!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:07 PM
  • What Application Pools do you see in the IIS Manager?

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:09 PM