none
Exchange 2010 SP2 keeps throwing internal mail in one users Junk Folder

Question

•   We have an Exchange 2010 SP2 with all roles on one box and no Edge server.  A user reported having an issue with internal emails going to Junk. They would sometimes go to Junk after sitting in the inbox for a while. I verified this behavior. The OL2010 client explained that some where placed there by OL's filter and others where placed there by Exchange.  At that point i checked the SCL and it was -1 but then learned that OL2010 could care less about SCL, so I switched it to online mode from cached mode.  Still had the same problem, just fewer occurrences so I disabled content filtering via PShell. Still the same issue. We use an external service for spam/failover , so disabling these internal filters is not a problem for us since everything is "clean" when it comes in. Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi ATCSJeff,

To narrow down the possibility of issue, please:

1, Move the mailbox to another database to check it again

2, Send a mail to himself and what's the result

3, Run Outlook in safe mode

4, Run Get-Mailbox mailboxname | fl to compare with another normal mailbox

5, Run the Test-Message(In order to run the cmdlet, the account"Support Diagnostics" Mangement Role):

Test-Message Improvements in Exchange 2010 Sp1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/tkern/archive/2011/07/06/test-message-improvements-in-exchange-2010-sp1.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 8 May 2012 15:31:45 +0000, ATCSJeff wrote:

> We have an Exchange 2010 SP2 with all roles on one box and no Edge server. A user reported having an issue with internal emails going to Junk. They would sometimes go to Junk after sitting in the inbox for a while. I verified this behavior. The OL2010 client explained that some where placed there by OL's filter and others where placed there by Exchange. At that point i checked the SCL and it was -1 but then learned that OL2010 could care less about SCL, so I switched it to online mode from cached mode. Still had the same problem, just fewer occurrences so I disabled content filtering via PShell. Still the same issue. We use an external service for spam/failover , so disabling these internal filters is not a problem for us since everything is "clean" when it comes in. Any ideas?

Sounds like a question for the Outlook forum. If the SCL is -1 it
    isn't the Exchange server that's messaing with the message.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Even if OL is in online mode and the Junk email settings are off in OL and OWA? Thanks for looking at this.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Hi ATCSJeff,

To narrow down the possibility of issue, please:

1, Move the mailbox to another database to check it again

2, Send a mail to himself and what's the result

3, Run Outlook in safe mode

4, Run Get-Mailbox mailboxname | fl to compare with another normal mailbox

5, Run the Test-Message(In order to run the cmdlet, the account"Support Diagnostics" Mangement Role):

Test-Message Improvements in Exchange 2010 Sp1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/tkern/archive/2011/07/06/test-message-improvements-in-exchange-2010-sp1.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thanks for the help Frank, I am going to do this Friday and I will post my findings.

I gather the Test-Message will expose any rules, I ran MFCMAPI previously and deleted all of them hoping an errant rule was causing this. I also started OL with the /cleanrules switch previously as well before taking it out of cache mode.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Hi ATCSJeff,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:38 AM